1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disrespectful?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by zammie, Nov 27, 2016.

1. zammie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would it be disrespectful for me, a genderfluid person, to want to wear breastforms sometimes after I get top surgery? I would much rather have a flat chest as my "body state" - because I can't handle binding 8+ hours a day, and I would much rather just...throw on a bra and put some silicone forms in it when I want to have a chest.
    I guess what I'm asking, is would it be disrespectful to trans women for me to do this? Like, would I be taking away resources fro the transfeminine community? This is something that's been bothering me for a while tbh and I figured this would be the place to ask.

2. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you can pretty much do whatever makes you feel better. And I happen to have a trans* friend who I believe identifies as agender, but sometimes presents more female and sometimes more male. They've had top surgery and now actually own breast forms. They never really had significant boobs before though and didn't even have to bind.

Of course, I'm not a transwoman so I can't really speak to what they would think, but I wouldn't be offended as a transman if an amab nonbinary person got breast implants or something and then bought a binder to hide them sometimes...Why would I care?

3. Irisviel

Well, if a token trans woman is needed, then my answer would be that I couldn't care less about what you put on your own body. I mean if I somehow considered your desire offensive, then I'd need to also hate strapons...

I would only express concern that you talk to someone like a therapist of at least very seriously think about your mastectomy idea when you still want to present as female.

4. SystemGlitch

I'm not a woman in any sense, but I don't think it'd be disrespectful. Anyone can use breast forms, they aren't exclusively for women without breasts - crossdressers/crossplayers use them, women who have had mastectomies sometimes use them, people who think their boobs are too small sometimes use them. It's your body and you need to feel comfortable with it, so if having a flat chest is better for you overall then I think that's what you should do. I wouldn't have an issue if the situation was reversed either; if someone AMAB had surgery to create breasts, then sometimes wore a binder to make their chest look flatter. I definitely wouldn't consider either case to be "taking resources" from trans people, since it's not something exclusively used by trans people.

5. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As others have stated, as long as you aren't hurting anyone directly, you are free to do whatever makes you feel better.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise because they are "offended", or something like that.

If that would make you feel better, then its fine. :thumbsup:

6. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not disrespectful. You're genderfluid, and want to use available resources to present how you like. Nothing wrong with that.

7. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't find anything disrespectful about it. :slight_smile:

8. IsItElise

Pre-transition here, so I don't know a whole lot, but I wouldn't find anything wrong with it. I think that most tabs/genderfluid people understand from experience that you gotta do what you gotta do to be happy and healthy. Surgery is is a big deal obviously, so good luck with it! :slight_smile:

9. JessicaWolfess

I wouldn't find it disrespectful, and most trans women who aren't super shallow wouldn't find it disrespectful either

10. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With this sort of thing, it's always okay to do what you need to do in order to be comfortable. I see a lot of people asking a similar question: is it okay for a cis woman to bind? The answer is always yes. Doing what you need to do to feel comfortable in your body is always okay.

Your worry about taking away resources from the trans fem community is valid, but I don't think it's an issue. Don't get breast forms from any programs that give free breast forms to trans women, and if you're really concerned, don't get them from somewhere where supplies are limited (e.g. if a website is about to sell out, wait until they're back in stock so that trans women don't have to wait), but buying something isn't taking it away from trans women. Arguably, buying breast forms actually gives money to a company that can use that money to make more breast forms (or develop new, better ones) for trans women to use.

11. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trans-girl here, I don't find it disrespectful in the least.

as for the resources thing, there is more than enough supply to meet the demand on breastforms.