1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athletics help?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rozco, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Rozco

Hey...I'm a successful (nationally ranked) athlete (XC, T&F) and I am a transitioning male. What are the rules on T? Like would I compete in the female group still? And if I were in the male group would I be permitted to use testosterone?

Sorry for so many questions I'm just really scared about all this and don't want to ruin my college chances. Going for an athletic scholarship:icon_sad:

2. LeticiaTheLesbo

In most sports if a person is pre-t, pre-surgery, pre-everything then they are okay to compete as their birth assigned sex. For example the NWHL (National Women's Hockey League) has a trans man playing for a team, he has decided to postpone his medical transition to after he retires from the sport. This will alow him to compete in the Women's league still. Hope this helps

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Typically, I think if you are legally male (e.g. changed gender marker) then you'd play with the men. Like LeticiaTheLesbo noted, if the trans-man playing for NWHL hasn't "officially" transitioned, he can still play with the women still he is still physically on the same level as them.

I cannot answer your question about T, but seeing as how trans-guys are allowed to participate in the Olympics - and they use T - I think allowances can be made if you talk to those in charge of your sport.

I guess it depends on what your goals are, and if you intend to transition sooner or later. Personally, I am working toward the goal of joining a men's collegiate swim team. I have a few years until I can get there, needing HRT and top surgery (hopefully within 3 years for me). Until then I will compete with females, though I hold myself to a male standard.

#3 Kodo, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  4. Rozco

Thank you all. You have no idea how much this means to me.