1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Binding....?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DJHale, Nov 28, 2016.

1. DJHale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm genderfluid and have been thinking about binding on the days that I feel more masculine.

I'm not sure what to do or use, as I have never done it before.

The other "question" is: should I do it?
    I really enjoy being more masculine, and I feel like it would be a good move towards really being who I am.

Are there any health concerns I should be aware of?

I'm so lost, but I'm excited. :icon_bigg:icon_bigg

2. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I'll try my best to answer your questions :grin:

To answer the question, 'should you bind': You should bind if you want to. I don't think there's really anything else to say. It's all up to you and what you feel comfortable with. I don't think it's great to do if you're sick with the flu or something, apparently it can increase the risk for pneumonia but I don't know how true that is. I wouldn't risk it though :lol: I generally don't want to bind when I'm sick anyway.

There are a few methods of binding I've heard of:
    1. I suppose the best option would be to get an actual binder but if you are unable to obtain one at the moment, it's not a big deal.

2. Sports bra method: Use tight-fitting sports bras (not too tight, about one size too small), place one on normally and put the other on backwards. I always wear baggy shirts about two or three sizes too big or layer my shirts on top of this.

3. Apparently you can also use neoprene back braces. Honestly, I tried neoprene and it didn't work out for me, you might have better luck.

4. Sports compression shirts. I don't have much to say, I've never tried it.

Don't: Use bandages to bind as this can break ribs and cause damage to chest/lung tissue, use duct tape to bind, wear a binder to sleep, wear a binder during exercise, wear a binder for more than eight hours. Also, I'm not sure if this one is a problem but I've heard of people using saran wrap and I can't imagine it's healthy :confused:

I don't know if safe binding causes any issues. If you have pain, you should stop. Unsafe methods can cause broken ribs and damage to the chest and lungs. When I was young and stupid (13, 14?), I used several methods that weren't great and didn't follow instructions correctly :/ I ended up developing chronic costochondritis which is another complication, it's not life-threatening but it is annoying. I don't want to scare you away or anything, it's just important to know how to properly bind :slight_smile: You shouldn't have any problems correctly using a proper binder or the sports bra method, binders are designed for it and I know a lot of people use sports bras. I've used it for a year without any problems.

Good luck, hope I've helped :slight_smile:

3. DJHale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your advice!
    I really appreciate it. I'm so new to it. :slight_smile:
    I think I will definitely try the sports bra method. I'm fairly broke, and an actual binder might make my parents freak out. xD
    The only concern I have is my breasts are growing at a rapid rate. Like I just had to go out and buy three new pairs last week, when I bought a previous pair last month.
    Thank you so much for your advice though. I really appreciate it.

4. zammie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're still growing quickly, I would hold off on binding until yr growth spurt ends. It can negatively effect skin elasticity, etc. If your ribs/band size is what's changing, I would be ESPECIALLY careful, because if you bind too tight, etc, it can warp growing ribs. BUT if you really have to, I would use the sports bra method, because it's the safest in terms of these things. And as Spot said, don't EVER use ace bandages, and for now until you're done growing for the most part, I would avoid "real" binders.
    Another thing you need to be aware of is the fact that consistent binding (as in, nearly every day) will cause your chest to sag, and that part is really unavoidable.
    I've been binding since I was 12 off and on (also genderfluid, though when I started when I was 12 I thought I still thought I was female). Back then Underworks didn't even have an F2M section, and gc2b didn't exist at all, so I ended up using too-small sports bras and the first time my mom saw my chest while I was changing into a swimsuit after binding like that for around a year, she was horrified by the sagging.
    So, do be mindful of that.

5. DJHale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Zammie
    Thanks for replying! :slight_smile:

Your advice is helpful as well. I definitely do not want to sag.. on a feminine day, that would be awful to deal with. And also the rib thing... I like my ribs the way they are. xD
    I will be careful with my binding and make sure not to do it everyday. I honestly would have never thought about not using the Ace bandages. So thank you both for letting me know to not do it. :S

Thank you!!