1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bathrooms?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by nightowl88, Dec 4, 2016.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was curious about the bathroom situation. I don't believe their are any laws about it in my state but I don't really know what to do. If I do start using the male bathroom it won't be for another couple months and I will only have to deal with it on long trips but I worry it will be awkward with my brother and dad. I myself feel very awkward using the neutral bathrooms because they are designed for handicap people so I would feel bad if I happen to come out of one and see someone waiting who is handicapped. I was wondering if I should just use the girls room which doesn't hugely bother me I just worry about people's reaction as I start to pass better seeing as I already get weird looks or if I should use the male room and let my family deal with the awkwardness. At school I will be allowed into the male bathroom so my only worry would be on road trips.

2. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say, if you're using the male restroom everywhere else, just go ahead and use them on roadtrips. If they make anything akward then oh well, that's kinda what family does, and it's better than any other options. if a little akwardness is the worse you have to worry about, then be happy that's the worse you gotta deal with.

3. AngieT

AngieT Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I recommend using the facilities for the gender that you're presenting as, or if you're younger and traveling with family, the gender that they recognize you as.

If you're still uncomfortable with those options, use the neutral restroom. It's not like you're moving in, you're just using the facilities for a minute or two. Unless you're traveling really long distances, it really shouldn't be an issue anyway.

4. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I mean the majority of the trips we take are 7 or 8 hours and they are like 4 times a year so once I officially am out at school and at home to everyone I may talk to my family about it