1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being publicly agender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Buddleia, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Buddleia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I've identified as lesbian basically forever, and since that's a fairly 'mainstream' identity, and I live in a liberal area, I haven't had a whole bunch of issues regarding being open about it. However, I've also struggled with dysphoria for a long time - though I don't like the feminine aspects of my body, or being referred to as a woman etc., I also don't feel like a man. I've found I'm most comfortable considering myself agender, and have been much happier since the few friends I've told started using they/them pronouns for me.
    However, I really don't know any agender people who are publicly gender neutral - is this an option? I can't think people in general would take me seriously if I asked them to use neutral pronouns, and... I'm not sure how to put this, but I lead a very 'normal' life - as in, the only openly genderqueer or nonbinary people I know seem to be artists, musicians and whatnot, and I study animal biology, which isn't quite as, uh, eccentric, or self-driven? Are there any agender people here who have 'come out' to more than just family or friends, and how does that work for you?

2. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I think if you wanted to tell everyone in your immediate life that you identify as such, or at least prefer neutral pronouns, and feel you are assured and safe enough to do so, by all means its worth a shot. I'm not too keen on correcting the general public and being out to "everyone" though, not sure why but especially because nonbinary genders are not nearly as respected or known compared to binary ones (especially if the person requesting is physically transitioning) you just might end up getting a lot more uneccessary shit as opposed to gender euphoria. If you have work-mates that you feel would be accepting or understanding though, maybe start by gauging their knowledge or acceptance of other LGBT+ stuff first. Are they aware that you're gay? Maybe start with that since its generally more well known, or just talk hypothetically about some issues that you're knowledgeable on if you don't feel the need to do that, then maybe they'll end up asking you if you'd like to be addressed another way. Good luck!