1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion: the gender tag and expression

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SHACH, Dec 6, 2016.

1. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I watched a video in which Ashley Wilde explained that her gender tag questions should be answered really deeply to get to the core of why you feel/do etc certain things. And it seemed sort of an intriguing thing to do as a journal prompt, since, despite identifying as a cis woman I still feel like I have a complex relationship with gender, and, I dunno I'm just interested.

Anyway I wss reading the instructions on here site and she gave the definition of cisgender as "people who's sex assignment at birth matches their general identity and expression" and I was like "AND EXPRESSION?!". I was a bit confused because I thought I could live with my complex of only liking men's clothes perfumes, roles, blah blah and still be cis (I call it a complex cos I'm poking fun at myself for being way more stubborn about this stuff than most tomboys I know).

Not that I feel invalidated by this, no, I just thought it was interesting. I was wondering then, at what point does your expression differ so much from your assignment at birth that you identify not as cis? And what identity would that be? Is it really valid to identify under the trans umbrella just because your expression differs from your sex that dramatically? (And isnt that whole question really problematic? Haha you know what I was trying to say). Or do you just disagree with this definition of the term cisgender? And why?

I dunno that little addition to the definition made me think a loooooot.

2. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Expression =/= identity at all. In the most extreme examples think of drag queens who look completely feminine, wear makeup and dresses, prosthetic breasts but they're still guys. They don't feel like they are women, they just like to dress in stereotypically feminine clothing. I think it's wrong to say that expressing yourself with how the opposite sex stereotypically dresses themself makes you 'not cis' because this is completely diminishes what trans people are trying to eradicate - the idea that the box for girl means feminine and the box for boy indicates masculine. Saying that because a girl dresses completely masculine means she's not cis just isn't correct.

The thing that makes a person not cis is the fact that they don't feel comfortable with the gender assigned at birth. People might not feel comfortable with the clothes associated with the gender theyre assigned (as yes sometimes this leads to them realising theyre trans) but if you feel whole in your body and can see yourself growing up happy the way you are, you're cis. Ashley's a cool person and she's a brilliant activist but in this case i think she's got herself really confused there.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's a very inaccurate definition she's using. Gender expression is not gender identity, and lots of people (both cis and trans) have nontypical gender expressions. The fact that I like to wear dresses sometimes doesn't make me less of a guy any more than a girl liking to wear suits makes her less of a girl.

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that's utter bullshit. I have a vagina, like she/her pronouns, and dislike feminine stuff. What would that make me other than cis?

One could argue that the gender roles forced on women are misogynistic anyway, and that most women probably don't identify with all of them.

5. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never even heard of Ashley Wilde until this forum thread, so already I don't put much stock in what she says. In the same vein, if I didn't know who a movie star is, I wouldn't much care what they say.

6. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My opinion? It's an inacurate description of what it means to be cisgender. I was assigned female at birth and I amcomfortable with feminine pronouns as well as being called a girl, woman, female. I do have some slight problem with my gender expression that can be different from your stereotypical feminine girl role, but I'm still a female in body and soul. There are many masculine people that do identify as women and feminine people that do identify as men and they are no less (wo)men than they say they are because of the way they act or dress.

7. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, this is a trap I see all too often, especially when talking about trans people. Especially trans women. Why does super femme have to be societies default for all women? I still like some of the things in my wardrobe, why can't I keep them when I transition? I can and I will.

8. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like it's more about internal identity than expersssion. For me I'm still sorting out what I feel internally. And I f feel some things about my body are meant to be male, while other things about it don't bother me. But in addition to that my expression is quite on the masculine side.

9. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah I feel like she didn't think very much about those two words she wrote "and expression" because if you think about it, they suddenly turn everything on its head haha. It's not a very good definition as soon as you add those two words and starts invalidating a lot of people. I don't really subscribe to it.

Though I was just wondering, hypothetically (cos she made me question everything for a moment) if actually expression can create some grey areas of experience, even if its pretty rude to tell someone they aren't their cis identity just because of expression.

What i mean is like, really butch women getting harassed in bathrooms means some or them would probably feel they needed gender neutral bathrooms sometimes even though they prefer women's, which is something you'd associate more with being trans. I can't really think of any other examples of the top of my head right now (I'm getting ready for uni). I don't have this problem because I'm not butch in the slightest i just like man things, I just imagine it would create a certain bond with the trans community.

#9 SHACH, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  10. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, no, it's really impractical to consider gender non-conforming people trans. It distracts from actual transgender issues, and if people commonly saw trans as about gender expression (more than they already do) I worry that people might not understand why I need to be called male pronouns/terms or what my issue really is. It's too broad, and is inaccurate for most GNC people.

11. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there are definitely overlaps in social experiences of trans people and GNC (gender nonconforming) cis people. A butch woman can get harassed in a women's bathroom because people see her as not belonging there in the same way that a trans person can get harassed in either bathroom. Trans people get harassed for not conforming to the gender expectations for their assigned gender, and butch women get harassed for the same thing. There are obviously still big differences in the experiences of trans people and GNC cis people, but there are similarities for sure.

But of course (and I think we agree on this), that doesn't make Ashely Wilde's definition correct. Lots of groups have overlap in the ways they are discriminated against. Trans people and GNC cis people might have a sort of kinship in a "yes, that shitty thing happens to me too, so I can sympathize" way, but it doesn't mean GNC cis people are trans.

12. laconfuseel

Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm fairly new here, and I've been hardcore questioning my gender and sexuality, and I feel like it's driving me nuts. I just need some advice...

So at first I thought I was a lesbian, as I am biologically female and I am dating someone who (well actually they recently came out as nonbinary but at the time we both thought we were strictly female), and then I convinced myself I was trans. But lately, I've been feeling extremely feminine and I get a weird feeling when my friend calls me "he" as opposed to happy like I used to. This is stressing me out incredibly, and I really need some help clearing some things up.

Another thing is, that I am really scared of my friends being mad at me for suddenly "changing" One of them that goes to a different school has even been correcting people to address me as "he."

Actually, when I "came out" as trans, it was a complete accident. I was still trying to work it out, and I guess now I'm more confused than I was before.

Sorry that was so long,,,, but thank you to anyone willing to help!!

13. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi laconfuseel. Nice to meet you, that sounds really difficult. Although I am questioning my gender a tiny bit I cannot fully relate to that at this point. But what I can relate to is the really awkard position you end up in when you get thrown out of the closet before you're ready. I'm sort of hanging halfway out of the closet about my sexuality and I'm still totally confused - definitely puts you under a whole load of pressure to be super sure and make your mind up! Stressful!!!

Anyway, I don't want to sound like I'm kicking you out of the thread, whatever that means but I think you should make a new thread for your question because it sounds complicated and like it deserves a full discussion of its own! Just go to the Gender Identity and Expression section of the forum and click the "new thread" button near the top.

Dark comesoon, yeah definitely, even in my example, empathy and shared experience with the trans community doesn't make you trans. For example one ethnic minority can share some elements of experience with another different ethnic minority but that doesn't make them into a single ethnicity somehow. I guess there's not much defence of that definition.

iI just realised it's Wylde with a y btw.

14. anthracite

anthracite Guest

This is stupid. Strong women are something great. If you don't envy men over their body and constantly feel like gender lottery gave you the second price, you're cis.

I like guyliner. Don't wear it currently for the sake of passing but could imagine to do so in the future. I am a rocker, I'm allowed to do this :grin: No one is entirely a walking clichee of their gender. After all, I know women who can drive :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are great videos with Judith Butler's speeches in the net. I'm not sure why I'm saying it.

"Is it really valid to identify under the trans umbrella just because your expression differs from your sex that dramatically? "
    Up to you.

"And isnt that whole question really problematic?"
    Be problematic if you want to.

I'm sorry, you sound so much like me about a year ago... So freakin' much. Because you know, the real feeling like a woman or a man comes from the gut, it whispers, and you can't pin it down.

The border is... very fluid.

16. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    what about gender non-conforming trans people?

Granted, I know what you're saying. I feel an overwhelming need to be male - not to "express myself in male terms" or whatever. It's truly frustrating that I'm often misgendered and assumed to be a butch woman, which is so far off the mark. :dry:

Anyone, cis or trans, can be gender non-conforming.

17. Cinis

Cinis Guest

First tip on every FtM site ever about passing:"How to not look like a butch woman."
    Question that most butches are annoyed to hear:" Why aren't you trans?" :lol:

Fun aside: I think cis gnc people and trans folks can share a lot of experiences for example butches that use binders or crossdressers using make up contouring their face etc.
    Experiences about being forced into certain gender roles etc. are also relatable for both.

On the other hand there are many differences since both are different things. If a trans guy (lets assume he I gender conforming) says: "I was forced to wear a dress today and I just wanted to puke." I can absolutely relate to that. If he however talked about how awesome the changes on T are or about how it feels when people use the wrong pronouns I couldn't relate at all.
    So I guess the experiences shared have mostly to do with treatment by society not with identity.
    As already mentioned by some people there are also gender nonconforming trans people or ones that don't have a problem with the gender roles of their assigned gender but still feel the need to transition.
    So it is entirely possible to be trans without sharing any similarities with gnc people of your birthsex since gender roles aren't the core problem of being trans. You could maybe say that problems with gender roles can be a "symptom" of being trans but not the reason people usually want to transition.

The main issue that I have with this definition of transgenderism is that it both trivializes the problems of trans people and enforces gender roles. By saying that everyone that doesn't conform to gender roles is trans the core problems of being trans get overlooked and are likely to be misunderstood. On the other hand if we say that everyone whose gender expression varies from the norm isn't cis we only force people into categories more than we already are because that would mean that people are only women if they like to wear make up and dresses and only men if they like sports and cars. This would then also attack the identities of gnc trans people which again is simply a blatant misunderstanding of what being trans is actually about.

It doesn't matter if I like wearing girls clothes or boys clothes or whatever else: I'm ok with my body and with having female pronouns. So what would I even need the trans label for?

There's also the fact that for a lit of gnc people being their gender is also an important part of their identity. Many butch women say that it's part of their identity to still think and talk like women despite their gender expression. So this definition would also take away the identity of many gnc people against their own will.

18. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I dont see why you keep feeling the need to apologise like I would object to sharing similarities with you haha. You seem like a cool person. I did read your posts about year ago tho and I think I saw some key differences.

In terms of me I don't feel uncomfortable with being female really there's just a few things that have been bothering me recently.

1. Since really opening up to being myself, I have started only buying menswear etc. Wesring boxers has become weirdly vital to me and I use this really masculine shower gel i have as a sort of therapy on bad days. Like being more masculine makes me feel better. I find it weird how good it makes me feel
    2. i get read as female 100% but my old best friend of 5 years said I have an androgynous personality, a new uni friend who Ive gotten close to genuinely thought I was a trans man during one conversation when i was joking, and my mum used to worry when i was a kid that i would be trans (tho I dont think she knows the proper words). I said all the time I wanted to be.a boy and the only thing that would convince me to stop is threatening to cut my hair off because I was sort of proud of my long hair.
    3. I love watching transguy youtube videos. its just sorta fascinating and I think they're all super cool and admirable especially for putting themselves out there like that. I dont feel any great desire to follow in their footsteps, but sometimes I feel a connection to my little kid self who wanted to be a boy and I know she'd find it super cool.
    4. Being called a lady annoys me, though male stuff also seems a bit laughable.
    5. When girls start talking about girly stuff from their childhood etc I can't help feeling sorta weird and disgusted like I would've as a kid even though I should've grown out of that.
    6. Talking about my kid self, I didn't really like looking in mirrors till last year. Felt sort of disconnected with myself in the mirror. Especially when I was very young I felt like it broke the illusion in my head where I was usually more of a boy.
    7. Last year when I did start looking in the mirror I kept having this feeling that I needed a short haircut really bad but tbh rn I don't care. Rn I very much enjoy looking in the mirror fkr the first time and i feel supremely vain.
    8. My biggest thing on my mind rn is I cant seem to wrap my head around dating men and therefore being the woman. When I was in my teenage years ane trying to be normal that seemed desirable but as soon as I just let go, i felt way more in touch with myself but also now I feel weird about being with a guy. (I haven't been with anyone yet).

So these things I can sometimes ponder. But having had no thoughts of caring much about puberty., and liking my body when it's naked (in clothes it annoys me a little because I want my man clothes to look more right) and yeah I just don't really care that I am a girl, this all makes me feel pretty cis tbh. I feel like I could make a pretty good argument for being trans but I see myself as cis. Most of the masculine things that excite me are in the realms of expression so it's only really when I read a weird defintion like Ashley's that I feel much of a way.

Woops I didn't actually intend for this thread to be about me it was just a question haha.

---------- Post added 8th Dec 2016 at 12:07 PM ----------

Wow Cinis that was an awesome little essay there! I definitely agree with your points. We can't be forcing people into labels for being gnc that's very narrow minded. My old best friend mentioned above also once said to me "go trans. Trans is better than butch". I really am not butch as far as I'm concerned so that was weird enough but I definitely didn't get where this HUGE jump in reasoning was coming from.

On your point about gnc trans people not maybe sharing as much with gnc cis people... I feel like they would if they transitioned like you said, still cause some confusion in people that might lead to situations that all gnc people could relate to.

#18 SHACH, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  19. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just know you pretyy strongly identify as female and I'd like to take you to the dark side, ha ha. That's why I'm apologising. But I'm not sure if taking the red pill was the good choice though. I could have been much better off if I took it later.

I dunno. That identifying and comfort or lack thereof might be me beibg more introverted than you are. You seem like someone who speaks up and is all over the place. At least more than I am.

In my opinion it's like... if you repeatedly find yourself repeatedly expressing yourself like the opposite sex in the wierdest moments, that might mean you're not really be what you think you are.

But other than that really, it's a complex and existential subject, gender identity and expression. I think the first is just more internal and more about what you're made of than the latter. Ofc gender expression can be a result of someone being trans, either because how they are trying to communicate who they are or because the trans people are just normal people of the gender they are, and like the same things as cis people. It might be also that gnc cis people get misgendered the other way... I wouldn't really... I see why someone would identify with the trans umbrella even if they are cis but gnc.

I think of myself as of someone highly gnc in many ways tbh

20. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha please don't take me to the dark side you're making it sound scaaaaary.

In terms of being less introverted than you, I am very much am in my head, which is more an important thing for this topic. I am also very low level depressive. And then when i feel really bad these things mix and I feel like nothing is real and death invalidates the whole of life... which all makes me feel like a wobbly ball of nothing, so I dunno I feel like that affects identity. Makes it hard to pin down. Anyway, that was not what I was gonna say. I was gonna say I switch weirdly between introvert and extrovert. I am scared to talk to people but if I just run into it I'm sort of okay while I'm doing it in most situations, though it sorta takes a lot of energy. I can sorta flick a switch like when you jump into a freezing pool so you can't think about how cold it is, but if I think too much beforehand I might not be as good. I'm always up for going and doing stuff, actually mainly because being in my head makes me sadder when I'm alone, but in the run up to meeting up with anyone I feel unecessarily stressed, even if their my friends and I'm totally cool with them and talking to them is not at all stressful. And sometimes I wish I could just talk less. Just like, be in my presence but don't talk please. Tbh if I'm in a group of a few people I will just rather let them talk most of the time, but if I do talk I'm really loud and posotive and jokey. I see myself as an all or nothing sort of person. But I'm definitely more eloquent in text form so your view of me will be biased. Though I've also grown during this year to give less fucks.

You can tell I'm in my head because one sentence you say can make me write a paragraph of self analysis.

I mean, I don't know what you'd even mean by expressing myself as the opposite sex in the weirdest moments. I mean, I cross my legs like a man a lot and don't notice I'm doing it. Thats the most unexpected thing I can think of.

Yes it's very existential in some ways.... Ugh there are things I wanna say but they are just really random an off topic just to do with the feelings that I'm thinking of. I dunno, message me, emerry.

Btw are you actually in London cos I've moved there for uni. I mean, I break up at the end of next week and I'll go home but I'm there now and I'll be back in January haha. Probably in December actually. If I can leave the day after boxing day and spend the rest of the holiday in London that would be ideal, I don't want to hang out with my mother for long.