1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with Dysphoria Without Transitioning?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by justine16, Dec 7, 2016.

1. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So I think I've decided I don't want to transition at all (no female clothes, hormones, anything). But my dysphoria is such an issue. Like, I will have to look in the mirror to remember I'm a biological man sometimes. What should I do to help my dysphoria without transitioning? Is that I want to do even possible?
    Thanks

2. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I don't know if it's possible to go back once you know. I haven't found a way to do it. But you can still be yourself, maybe focus more on your character than on your meatsuit? After all it's just there to carry your brain around.

3. iiimee

Justine, I'm sorry, but while your dysphoria might lower slightly over time, the only way I've seen any people deal with it is to at the very least do things that make them feel more like the gender they want to be... I did recommend in another thread to get plenty of sunlight, eat healthy, and schedule to hang out with friends and embrace your hobbies, but I don't think these things will erase any of your dysphoria unless you're actively dealing with it, but I'm not a professional therapist, and honestly, that is what you need Justine- NOT a conversion therapist! Now, no gender therapist will force you to transition, but you should at least confront those feelings in that sort of setting Justine, if you want any peace. If you want to talk btw, you can always message me... but while it is your right to choose if you want to transition, you seem to not be confronting these feelings in a healthy, understanding light, and that's not good for you Justine. Please, get actual help and support. Again, nobody is going to try to force you to transition, but a gender therapist can help council and comfort you if nothing else, and maybe going to a support group would give you some good advice too...

---------- Post added 7th Dec 2016 at 09:13 PM ----------

I'd like to add that I still recommend that you get sunlight, eat healthy and hang out with people and do your hobbies, because all of those lower DEPRESSION, but the dysphoria itself will not disappear from any of those, since you are doing nothing to treat that problem. Sorry, but that's just the experience every person I've met who has decided not to transition has had- and trust me, I've met A LOT, both on these site and in "less liberal" environments, not that I think EC really has a major lean one way or the other- we accept all people here.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are definitely people who have dysphoria but choose not to transition. It's a completely valid choice to make, and it's totally doable.

Can you see a therapist? Being able to talk to a professional about how you're feeling can really help you work through what your feeling and figure out how to cope with and manage the dysphoria that you have.

If not, I mostly recommend distractions. In general, hobbies, exercise, spending time with friends, etc. can help elevate your mood and prevent dysphoria from being such an issue. When you're having a day with really bad dysphoria, the key is to do literally anything that will keep your mind off of it. If my dysphoria is bearable, I like to try to get work done or focus on a project I'm working on. If it's really awful, I'll just watch TV or do something mindless that can fully distract me until the dysphoria gets a bit better.

#4 darkcomesoon, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okey. If you're a trans woman, you are a woman no matter if you transition or not. When you look in the mirror, it's a woman. See her. A tomboy, a crossdresser who does it to succeed in the men's world. It's a role you're playing, you can choose any role you want.

Do you have any other particular issues?