1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My gender identity and my mental health issue

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by eli7, Dec 9, 2016.

1. eli7

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi, I'm new here. I'm kind of nervous to post this but here it goes. I identify as non binary (Have tried coming out, didn't go so well, but that is not my question)...I was wondering, I don't want to transistion (although I do want a binder) but it still worries me I won't be excepted by others in the LGBTQ community because When I was younger I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia (Paranoia was my only symptom since I was scared people were always looking at me) of which I'm on meds for and now I worry that people won't accept I'm non binary because I have a serious mental illness even though I no longer am paranoid and the meds work. I was put on meds when I was 17ish and I'm now 30 (I know I'm old but I've felt this way for a long time, it's not new for me).
    I know I'm non binary, I have always dressed, acted, felt the same, nothing has changed i just have a name for it now. Any way, peoples opinions on this would be great.

2. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello and welcome! Its wonderful that you can be here and be so self-assured! Although there have been individuals in the past who have identified as something other than cisgender and found resolve for their gender dysphoria via other means once they received medical help/treatment for themselves, I still believe it is only the individual who gets to determine exactly how they feel and relate to other people. Being transgender is not a mental illness, although the dysphoria experienced due to the disconnect and how society reacts to us and how our culture views sex and gender as one is indeed. If it makes you feel any better, I actually have two close, personal friends who also identify as a nonbinary person and a trans man, one of which who is also schizophrenic and the other who has psychosis and some type of dissociative disorder. Both of their health problems have been diagnosed separately from their gender dysphoria, but regardless, I still don't personally believe that it is right to discriminate against how someone feels most comfortable being treated just because they also suffer from other illnesses as well. I myself have an anxiety disorder, but I had that long before I was even aware of my gender dysphoria and the two aren't necessarily related. Just know that so long as you are self aware and in a good spot mentally for understanding yourself and don't have a reason to believe that you may be identifying as such out of some type of avoidant tendency, then you are valid and its great that you can share that with us.

3. eli7

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the reply kipperthedeer and for the welcome. I am confident they are not related and it makes me feel better that there are other people in similar situations. I was called a tomboy growing up and have always hated my chest so these aren't new feelings, I discovered the terms non binary and ftm when I was 27 and it took a while to figure things out especially since I'm on my own with it. Like I said I tried coming out but was told to be myself and not label it and then the conversation was somewhat just forgotten. So anyway thanks.

4. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're welcome! I can actually strongly relate, as I have always been seen as an androgynous/masculine woman or "tomboy" but in reality I just never felt that socially connected to other women or like I could relate to them, or considered myself one. For me, I had a transgender friend in early highscool, but never considered being trans myself until after I graduated, and its taken me almost 2 years to accept myself before coming out to 2 close friends. As for the whole label thing... I feel like some people think labels are unnecessary simply because "being themselves" comes naturally to them in a world where they are the norm or don't have to try very hard to do be themselves and don't get rejected ever... but, they can be comforting to someone who has never had that, as it gives us a place to exist all our own. Its up to the individual really! Its really just apart of language and one more way to share our similarities. I think if you feel its necessary or it would make you more comfortable, be confident about who you are and if other people don't care to learn about it and accept you then I guess that's just their loss. But yeah, take care!

5. Bikermm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not accepting somebody because they have a mental illness is as stupid as not accepting somebody with a broken leg. You will no doubt meet some fools but then you wouldn't want to know someone like that anyway would you?!

Welcome and be who you are :smilewave

6. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcome! Addressing the not wanting to medically transition bit - me too. I don't want surgery, I don't want hormones - I just long for a binder. How much or little you transition doesn't make you any less trans or nonbinary. For instance there's a singer called Ryan Cassata and while he's had top surgery he isn't looking to transition medically except for that.