1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Therapy help!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LizzerDizzer, Dec 14, 2016.

1. LizzerDizzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently saving up money as well as working at my first job to be able to afford gender therapy, but I need to know where to find a good therapist close to me. When I brought up gender therapy to my mom, she signed me up for a therapist that deals with gender identity but what I need is a therapist that can write me a letter of support to allow me to get hormones from my doctor/physician.

So my question: is there a website that can help me find a therapist thats close and is cheap? I know that needing a letter of support depends on the physician, but most of them require you to get one and I also want to prove to my family that I'm serious and I know what I want to be. Any help is appreciated!

2. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly I think it'd be easiest to just ask your current therapist. Although you said they can't prescribe HRT, they probably also have a recommendations list of those who could and would probably be able to account for your insurance provider much like a general practitioner could. I'd say start your appt. with them and ask about it at the end; kill two birds with one stone hahah.

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see why that therapist couldn't write you a letter?

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    what others have said, 'deals with' is not necessarily negative. and they may be able to write the letter, or make referral to someone who does. this leaves that paper trail that insurance companies love as well.

good luck, my therapist is one of the best I've been with.

5. LizzerDizzer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the problem is I have talked to my therapist about gender therapy and he didn't know that was even a thing until I showed him. I don't get appointments with him anymore because my family's insurance only allowed 5 free appointments before we had to pay. I talked to him about gender therapoy in my 4th meeting and by the end of the 5th appointment, I asked him if he had any recommended therapists and he had none since he just found out about it.

I agree that therapists that deal with gender identity isn't bad, but I need a gender therapist that can help me progress into getting HRT. I guess one thing I can do is ask my doctor if they can help in the mean time.