1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports bra for binding?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kye, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Kye

Kye

Hey, I've basically decided that I think I'm going to pluck up the courage to start dressing more openly genderfluid when I return to college after christmas (massive step for me!) and I was wondering what people's experiences are with using sport bras to try and make chests look less feminine.
    I'm unable to get a binder (and, being genderfluid, I don't particularly want to wear anything that is going to damage my chest in the long run, since sometimes I like it) and so is there a particular style of sports bra that could help achieve the same effect?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

- Kye

2. rebelAssassin

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know you said you don't want a binder, but if you decide you do, there are charities online that can send you one for free if you're willing to wait a while. As for the sports bras, I think a high-impact one will hep. Try getting 2 and putting one on backwards. If one or both are a size smaller, that's even better. Just remember to only wear it for 8-12 hours at a time, and wear a sports bra underneath a binder if you get one. I also learned recently that baby powder will help with chafing. Hope this helps, it's weird offering knowledge to a college student while I'm still in high school!

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're already small chested, sports bras can be awesome.

4. Kye

Kye

Thanks rebel! :icon_bigg
    I'll definitely look into charities- I think it may be something I want to try out at some point :slight_smile:
    Yeah, a high impact one might work- I'm not sure about wearing two though, read an article just now about how that can be a bit risky for various reasons x
    Technically I'm a high school student, but the place I go to is called a college (which isn't like the American form of college, which is university in the UK :slight_smile: )

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2016 at 08:35 PM ----------

I'm a 32D in my current bra ( since measurements change a little according to the make/style of bras), but I'm kinda wide-set. I know I probably won't manage to get completely flat, but hopefully I can make it appear so if I dress right as well :slight_smile:

5. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard about some people wearing two sports bras at once to achieve a flatter look, as this isn't nearly as harmful as double-binding. I'm not sure I would recommend going down a size, as that might be too tight around your ribs-- I'd say go with Rebel's idea of wearing one backwards underneath another one, a lot of people I've heard have done that before. Other than that, you can wear multiple shirts or tank tops under a sweatshirt or a larger shirt to achieve a flatter look. I personally am very small chested and look flat almost naturally, so just adding a sports bra usually does it for me so long as I'm wearing a baggier shirt.

6. Kye

Kye

Ok Kipper, I'll try wearing two and see how it goes :slight_smile:
    I'll try to get hold of some baggy shirts and hopefully that will work :slight_smile:

7. LittleMouse

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a cis female who doesn't bind/attempt to flatten my chest but I do a lot of sport so have tried out many sports bras!

I am a similar chest size to you and I can appear rather flat chested in a good, well fitting sports bra.You'll definitely need a high impact one though. I find the crop top style ones give quite a 'flattened' look. They will possibly be visible around your collar depending on what clothes you wear though as to work properly the high impact ones often come quite close to your neck. Probably the best thing to do would be to go to a sports shop and try a few different styles on. (Could always then check online to see if they are cheaper?)

8. Kye

Kye

Thank you Mouse! much appreciated :icon_bigg

9. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was concerned about using a binder at one point in time, but I asked a medical professional about it, and they said it isn't an issue (I only wear it every so often).

Extreme MagiCotton Sports and Binding Bra. Underworks Store

This one is not too expensive, and doubles as a high compression sports bra. Win win.

10. Kye

Kye

Thank you so much for the link Sebby! :icon_bigg
    (Incidentally, your username is the same name as my boyfriend, so yeah, good choice :thumbsup: )

11. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to know I have good taste. :lol:

12. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have a binder and am a 32DD and I can pass as flat chested in two non padded sports bras - one on normally and another on top backwards. Stick within the 8-12 hours like binders (four days in a row for 14 hours resulted in a painful chest for a few weeks so I speak from experience). The only problem is that they push my chest in and up and it gets quite hot and sweaty. Regularly shifting it back into place works as does putting deodorant in between them in the morning.

13. Kye

Kye

Thanks Lacybi, I'll definitely make sure I don't bind for too long- your tips are greatly appreciated! :slight_smile: x

14. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i totally agree! just one sport bra makes me look completely flat chested :grin:

15. Kye

Kye

Glad to hear it jenne :icon_bigg

16. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im on the other end of this, but I would say that you might want to avoid the padded sports bras as they give that compression and still look busty under clothes.

17. NoPlaceLikeHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a large collection of sports bras (I don't wear any other kind) and I've found it pretty effective and comfortable to wear one normally, and one backwards on top of that.

18. Kye

Kye

Ok, I'll make sure to avoid ones with padding in :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 20th Dec 2016 at 01:07 AM ----------

Glad to hear it :slight_smile: