1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FtM, how to pass well?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FoxEars, Dec 17, 2016.

1. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, I am ftm trans and have short hair and a slightly masculine jawline. Despite this, when people's brains identify one as 'male or female', many more aspects are taken into account. I need to try and make these as masculine as possible, to reduce the dysphoria I have been dealing with for so long, and need cheap and easy methods. Here are a few things I'd like to focus on:
    Making my shoulders appear broader, I have searched online but have simply found shoulder broadening exercises. I have thin and naturally weak wrists, thus some of these exercises are impossible- unless I wish to injure myself. I have been trying a few, but it will take some time to build the muscle. I will work on that, but are there any other ways that I haven't been able to find online??

Reducing the appearance of my hips. I am currently working on weight loss to reduce the size, however I am slightly underweight and have had many meetings with concerned teachers regarding my weight loss. I need a safer way of doing this.

Reducing the appearance of my waistline. Other than a body shaper, which can be expensive, I have no clue as to how to do this. Baggy clothing sometimes reduces the look of my already narrow shoulders, so that would be out of the question.

Being small. I don't think that this will change too much unless I start Testosterone, but hey it's worth asking.

I have a "feminine" voice, which I prefer to call my baby voice. Again, unless I start T it is unlikely to change too much.

Thank you.

2. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Unless you are overweight I wouldn't recommend a weight loss diet at all. You end up being skinny fat. That means your muscles won't be defined like those of our brothers with the right chromosomes but your arms will end up looking like Pudding. I've had this too and still hated my hips. Now I work on getting broader shoulders and it takes more focus on your muscles than your hips.

Once you get into workout you will figure out what works best for you. Maybe look into men's health for ideas.

Height increasing shoes. And vocal training.

3. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Unfortunately the best way to broaden your shoulders is with exercise. I know it can be particularly hard if you're pre-T, but unfortunately we've got to make that little extra effort to look more like ourselves. Until then, just pile on the coats or jackets, and don't wear tight-fitting shirts.

If you are already underweight, please do not attempt to lose any more weight. At your stage, you will only end up losing whatever muscle you may have now. As for your hips, they probably won't get smaller. If you're at the point where teachers are concerned about your weight, then I'm quite sure that you've reached the point where no amount of weight loss can reduce your hip size, since whatever is left of them will be mostly down to bone structure. Not to mention that you can't achieve broader shoulders so long as you continue to lose weight. Same applies to waistline. But do you really want a smaller waist anyway? That may increase the curvature of your figure since your hips won't get much smaller. The best way to hide your curves is to wear baggier clothes with less of a feminine cut.

Testosterone generally does not increase height. As anthracite said, height-increasing insoles are your best shot at looking taller. I also second the vocal training tip.

4. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you to you both, but this hasn't gone anywhere with the broadening shoulders topic. Are there any methods or garments that would make them look broader? Again, I am unable to complete some of the required exercises due to my wrists, which makes it more difficult to build up my shoulder muscles- even if I do go on testosterone.

5. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wear button-up shirts, avoid tight-fitting shirts as much as you can. If you have to wear a t-shirt, wear something over it. I've got a bunch of jackets that I often wear, and they are pretty good at broadening my shoulders. If you have no jackets, wear hoodies or jumpers.

6. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I wouldn't even say to avoid tight clothing for your upper body, unless your chest would pop out. Slimmer cut stuff won't fall as stupid and show your curves that much. You will simply look like a skinny guy. Baggy hoodies do not have that effect though. Also layers work quite well. I usually go shirt + open flannel and it works well.

I heard about a trend from the 80s where you would stuff your jackets at the shoulders to make them look broader. Proabably you could find something like that which doesn't look too much 80s-style.

Have you tried upright rows? They don't put much pressure on your wrists and work wonders for me.

7. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The problem with tight-fitting clothing is that it makes smaller shoulders much more noticeable. If a person wants to appear to have broader shoulders, tight-fitting clothing is not the way to go.

I agree with everything else though, particularly the layering tip. That and baggy hoodies both work well for me.

8. anthracite

anthracite Guest

If you put your sleaves up, it usually makes your arms big, regardless of what you're wearing.

9. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not if you have skinny arms lol. Especially if you are underweight... Rolling up sleeves works for most people, but not for everyone unfortunately.

10. Genuinelyqueer

Maybe wearing more masculine jewelry, letting your eyebrows grow out, and maybe wearing looser pants. I hope this helped a little :slight_smile:

11. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I do have skinny arms. Under 30cm.

I have fake tunnels, they somehow make me look more masculine.

12. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    In that case please tell me what you do when rolling up your sleeves, because doing that makes me feel dysphoric more than anything else. Particularly when I'm around my larger female friends (it's not that they're big, but I'm tiny haha)

13. Unpaused

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Get ripped bro! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you've not already, it may be worth getting some advice from a personal trainer. I've got some funky knees that bend at a weird angle and the guy at my local gym was really helpful about figuring out a plan that worked around that, I expect they'd be able to do the same with your wrists.

14. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Get ripped bro! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you've not already, it may be worth getting some advice from a personal trainer. I've got some funky knees that bend at a weird angle and the guy at my local gym was really helpful about figuring out a plan that worked around that, I expect they'd be able to do the same with your wrists.[/QUOTE]

You mean...talk to people...haha. I'll just try out different techniques, maybe purchase some wrist supports from poundland- hopefully that will work.

Unfortunately rolling up my sleeves simply reveals skinny (and scarred :/) arms. I shall try the layering method, but God help me in summer when the temperature it like 15 decrees C.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

15. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would suggest weight lifting, but if you have weak wrists it may not work out well unless you can get something to support/protect them during exercise.

A chest binder will make you look more masculine in combination with looser fitting clothing. Try wearing items that look more masculine (like the button up shirts suggested by AnAtypicalGuy and hoodies (especially with a binder).

Nothing will make you taller unless you want platform boots! And losing weight to look more boyish is a BIG no. I tried that before and ended up in a whole mess of trouble. Your skeletal build won't change, but you can work on your muscle mass.

Sebby45

16. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have managed to purchase some wrist supports, and they seem to be helping with a few of the exercises- though not entirely. Hopefully this will give my wrists the chance to strengthen? If so, I'll be able to do more in the future!
    As for the chest binder mentioned, I am currently using the layering method and -occasionally- tape. (I understand that I shouldn't)
    Does anyone know any places to get cheap but reliable chest binders? GC2B and underworks are too expensive.

17. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Extreme MagiCotton Sports and Binding Bra. Underworks Store

Have you seen this one on Underworks? It was the cheapest one I could find ($35), and it works pretty well and it is safe. Honestly, it would probably cost the same to buy two sports bras for layering.

Just thought I'd post the link in case you missed it.

Sebby45

---------- Post added 23rd Dec 2016 at 12:03 PM ----------

Oh, sorry. Just realized you are located in England. That would up the price.

18. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    LOL, "cheap". Yeah that's wayy too expensive, but thanks for the effort.
    (I can get two sports bras for £7 from a store in town, that's definitely not the equivalent of $35 lmao)

#18 FoxEars, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  19. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those two sport's bras would cover about 1/2 of the price of the binder in UK to USA currency. I just don't know how much shipping would cost you. *shrugs*

It is your choice after all, and maybe there are cheaper options out there for a proper binder. I just haven't found one yet.

Sebby45

20. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Commit yourself to weight lifting. It increases your appetite, so getting the diet nailed is important but basically you can trim down the body fat and replace it with muscle. Weight lifting keeps my dysphoria at bay and I'm pretty huge; it's easier than you think to gain muscle. Big shoulders are one thing, but you need the back and chest to go with it. Join a gym, watch videos on YouTube so you know what to do, stick your earphones in and grind.