1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Genderfluid?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by CROSSY ROAD, Dec 19, 2016.

1. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that there are some people that feel both genders very suddenly, but I have a question. Sometimes I go a few days feeling like a girl, and then I feel like a guy for a few days. I go and impulsively cut all my hair off and then the next day, boom, I want to wear dresses and be feminine and a girl. Is this just Genderfluid tendencies?

2. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Genderfluid usually flows between multiple genders I think. I identify as bigender meaning that I move between being male and female. I was AFAB. Some days I feel male, some days I feel female, and some days I am somewhere in between. It can change during the day for some people. I tend to change each day or maybe every few days. It is based on how you feel inside, but I get the whole wanting to be feminine and girly on female brain days.

3. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your help! So does this mean I am bigender?

4. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would look up the definitions of each and see what resonates with you. Only you can label how you feel but it seems more like bigender possibly than genderfluid. Also give yourself time to work through what you are feeling.

5. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much, StormyVale. You're really helping me figure this out.
    Okay that sounds like I'm being a sarcastic asshole and I'm totally not trying to be right now
    I'm genuinely grateful.

6. Dachs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Just about everyone, cis and trans and others alike, has days when they want to wear one thing and days when they want to wear another. For some people, this is just what tie they choose or what shirt they put on while for others it can be bigger changes, including being feminine or masculine. I don't think it necessarily means you're transgender unless you want it to mean that. Think carefully: when you feel like a guy, do you mean you want to present in a masculine way, or is there some sense of being a guy in your mind (perhaps in addition to how you want to present)? Ditto for being a girl/presenting in a feminine way.

If you have some sense of gender in your mind beyond what you want to present as each day, and this sense changes from male to female or something else, that sounds like a textbook definition of being genderfluid.

If you don't have some sense of gender in your mind (not everybody does/not everybody thinks of themself in that way, and that's fine), things might become clearer if you focus on physical issues. If you want to change your body (breasts/genitals/hips/height/other things related to your sex) on masculine days, that to me would be an indication of genderfluidity. If you feel out of place in your body. If you think you would be happier with the ability to choose your body each day.

Do you think genderfluidity is a good description of your experiences? Is the label "transgender" useful to you?

Aaand all of this is just about feelings and definitions, of course. It's pretty abstract however you try to frame it. So if it's all getting too complicated and confusing, perhaps put aside the question of what you are and focus on what you want to do. Let yourself have whatever presentation you want each day without worrying about other days (or if that's impossible due to parents/other factors, at least recognise what you would wear in a perfect world, maybe drawing yourself as you want to be). Think about whether you can come out as gender questioning to anyone. Pick another name and start using it online. I've changed my name socially and gotten a referral to a Gender Identity Clinic without being sure of my gender, because I decided those things were steps I needed to take, things I needed to try out to see if they were good. If they are not right for you, that's okay -- you've still learned something new.

I wish you all the best in your journey, wherever it may lead.

7. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much for your help :grin:

8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think wanting to feel guyish one day and feminine another is genderfluid. There are some cis women who NEVER feel girly, never wear make-up, dresses, or do girly things, but always feel like women.

You can also be genderfluid and only be 100% girly with no masculine traits at all.

It;s just a matter of what mental gender you are.

9. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That makes sense.

10. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You didn't sound sarcastic. It takes time and it is about how you feel and want to identify. Take your time and don't rush it.

For me, I didn't realize I wasn't cis-gender female until I had a day where I felt "off" and couldn't describe it as anything other than feeling "male". I have had days that felt female, in the middle, or male. It is not about presentation, but how you feel you are inside. Often dysphoria, or not feeling at home in your body/completely comfortable in your body, accompanies times where you feel you are not the gender you were assigned at birth.

11. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on if you're motives for wanting to have drastic changes in appearance and resenting the previous days impulses are rooted in your desire to be read as / interacted with as a boy or a girl, rather than just wanting to look feminine or masculine or have a certain "look".
    I don't choose when I wake up and feel more like a man or a woman. I can repress it some, or I can encourage it some if I don't feel very strongly and would like to "fit in" more one way, but ultimately if I wake up and goto school/work and someone calls me "ma'am" or "lady" or my birthname or compliments me on some feminine part of my appearance and I feel like I've just been punched in the stomach, then that is my dysphoria and I probably would prefer to be called he/him or "Kipp" that day. Sometimes, even feeling fine as a girl some days makes me angry and uncomfortable, because I know its not going to last forever and I associate being "female" with how I felt ostracized for half of my life when I did feel like a boy. Its quite complicated, but if you have similar experiences or have a strong inclination to gravitate towards another gender and yearn to be validated as such then there could be the possibility of you actually feeling this way as well :slight_smile: