1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at work?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rickystarr, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sooo it's already becoming pretty fucking obvious I'm on hormones, mostly due to very significant voice drop much sooner than I accepted. It's getting to the point where I'm passing more often than not with customers, including over the drive thru speaker which my coworkers can hear. Pre T I have never once been perceived as male from a voice only interaction. Now it happens all the time.

My voice also cracks regularly and I suddenly have acne and my skin was totally clear before.

I'm really surprised no one at work has mentioned the voice because it is quite drastic. Not even an "are you sick?"

I'm not out at all at work. I work in fast food. It's not like I can send out an email. How should I go about this?

2. anthracite

anthracite Guest

This is highly impractical and depends and how much you value to be stealth. For now, the best explanation is that you just have an illness that causes these changes, there actually is one. I would pursue legal name change as fast as possible and then change your job.

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not really worried about the consequences, or even being stealth atm (I don't pass that often up close yet). Everyone I work with is young and liberal. It's just kind of awkward. I'm not close with anyone I work with at all, probably mostly because I am hiding my life from them. And it's just weird being birthnamed and she'd at work all day by my coworkers when I've grown accustomed to dat male life outside of work.

I have considered applying for a name change, telling my general manager and asking for a transfer. I just got promoted and am making a surprisingly decent salary. More than I've ever made even at my office job. So I hate to leave the company to make less.

4. randomconnorcon

If your only real concern is that it's becoming awkward due to the changes T has brought, then my advice is to just tell your manager. They can tell everyone else for you. You might get a boat load of questions, unless you tell your manager what to say (then you might get less intrusive questions), but for the most part - if they're young and liberal - it should be just business as usual.

5. Lazuri

Sing a song for them.

Assigned female
    I feel male
    UUUUUHN-
    FtM transmale!

Honestly, though, don't hide it, but don't make a big deal out of it. If you tell everybody that "attention, co-workers! I am trans!" they're going to make a big deal out of it, but if you just go about your business and somebody asks you what's up with your voice, just say that you're trans and taking hormones like it's no big deal. Since you seem chill with it and your co-workers are young, everybody will probably know before the work day is over just from gossip and rumors.

That's my opinion though, and I prefer to keep my being trans on the down low rather than making a big deal out of it. I just wanna live and let live, so to speak.

6. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    You should come out in a structured way. Have the conversation with your line manager and outline that you wish to live your life as a man. This includes being gendered correctly. That message needs to be relayed to your colleagues, if you intend on staying put. Unsure on what the law is like for trans people in US but in the U.K. I'm protected by the Equality Act and gender is a protected characteristic, so if there is any negative reaction or treatment it can be handled swiftly and in your interests.

It all depends on what you want.

7. anthracite

anthracite Guest

So then maybe the best would be for you to make it a short point at a team meeting if you have something like that.

8. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was also considering letting gossip out my by telling just one or two people...I'm just really not close enough to anyone for it to even come up or really matter besides being kind of uncomfortable getting misgendendered all day.

9. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't announce it. It's not as big a deal as you think it is, and if your coworkers or boss make a big deal out of it, shame on them.

10. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really don't think it is a big deal either. But if I am to continue working there I'm eventually going to have to do something...