1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiding that you're on HRT?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BrookeVL, Dec 23, 2016.

1. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the record this is NOT ideal, and I do not want to go about it this way. Do you think it's possible to be on HRT and hide it from people? I'm talking people you live with. Just wondering, because I may be stuck in my current situation a bit longer than anticipated(I'll be out in 6 months, regardless), as I can't find a place around here with a lease that isn't one year, and I'm very possibly moving out west in June. I don't really want to be on the hook for 6 months of rent for a place I'm not living in....

What are the chances I might be able to do HRT and hide it successfully? Would that be hard?

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends, because some changes are fairly obvious and HRT ts everyone differently.

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it would be doable for a while. Hardest part for me to hide is my voice and you don't have to worry about that.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well considering my breasts are getting noticeable without a shirt off its going to be hard to hide them period at sometime in the near future.

5. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Well for the first time you can get a sports bra or binder to stick with the role.

6. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How long have you been on? That's what I'm worried about, my family is pretty well off in the boobs area.....I figure most facial changes won't be apparent especially if I, and I hate to do this, keep myself unshaven....

I really would like more input, I need to think this over....

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Shit I don't remember. 6 months or so? I want my facial features to soften and hair to stop growing in some spots and back in others. My boobs are getting bigger as I've said, but I think my facial and chest hair is slowing down. I don't notice much yet.

8. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you not getting laser on your face? Your face is already very feminine looking in your avatar. I'm super jelly. I hope my chest hair slows down after a few months....

9. A Wanderer

A Wanderer Guest

A lot of this will depend on your weight, how you dress and what changes you see first. If you wear baggy clothes anyway, you probably won't have much trouble. Tighter clothes can make it harder. So long as you don't get dragged to the pool often, it's plausible. Lock doors whenever you don't want to be walked in on.

That's my experience anyway. I wish you luck, it's not an easy situation, but I'm sure you'll come out fine.

10. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate baggy clothes. Mine aren't former fitting but if I were to grow boobs, it'd probably show after a bit....

I may need a chest binder. Which will not be good for my dysphoria......ugh. I'm going to work on coming out, and I'll be talking to my therapist about it. She'll be helpful, so maybe I'll be out by the time it's an issue....

11. A Wanderer

A Wanderer Guest

That's always your best bet. Therapists tend to be the most rational about these things, and I'm sure one of her other patients has been in this situation. Always do what keeps you safe and sane. Even if it's a rocky start(most are), coming out is an immense relief. Picking the right time is never easy.

12. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'm sureI'm not the only one ever in my situation. It sucks, cause I watch all these girls on YouTube who have supportive family, and I'm jealous. I wish mine was, but I don't believe they will be, at least not all of them....

13. A Wanderer

A Wanderer Guest

I'll be honest, there's a good chance that a lot of them won't. I'm sure even those girls on YouTube lost a lot of friends and family they don't mention. Don't compare yourself to them, though. That only hurts.

I'm not going to say there are people worse off, because that doesn't help. But there are plenty of people who have been through this(and more) and came out on top. With patience and understanding, even the most stubborn people can come around. Until then, ready yourself for the worst and be as kind as you can afford.

14. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe my siblings will be accepting at least. It's my parents I worry about, and my grand parents. Extended family, I don't really care. It really won't effect me if my cousins, aunt, and uncle I see once every 5 years(if that) don't like it.(Though they're actually pro-lgbt mostly). I have a group of accepting friends so at least I'll have somebody.

And yes, I will be EXTRA kind. Make them feel worse.:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 25th Dec 2016 at 08:03 PM ----------

I do think my parents can and eventually WILL come around, though I wonder how much of that is me knowing my parents and how much is wishful thinking.

15. A Wanderer

A Wanderer Guest

I certainly didn't think my own would, but here they are. Conservative background, Christian upbringing, said I'd always be a son to them. My therapist is really the person I have to thank for bringing them around. But that's just because I live with them still. Had I moved out at eighteen, I'm sure it wouldn't have mattered much.

Siblings are a big step, since they're a direct line to your parents. Friends can be your family until then, unless you live with them. Either way, it's good to know you won't be alone.

Kill them with kindness. :lol:

16. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still live with them. One of the things I want to talk to her about is sitting down with them, and explaining why this is a necessary steps, why gender dysphoria is an actually medical diagnosis, and what being trans is actually like for the person who's living it. That may just be enough.

17. A Wanderer

A Wanderer Guest

Just be careful. Don't be too forceful. If you need some backup, bring a friend. Unless you mean bringing them in to talk with her, then things should mostly be covered. I wish you the best of luck and hope to hear how it all goes.

Feel free to message me on my wall if you need anything!

18. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did mean sitting down with her. I think that would be best.

Thank you. :slight_smile: