1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increased chest dysphoria after binding?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by i am just me, Dec 24, 2016.

1. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone :slight_smile:

I want to buy a binder but I have some doubts. At the moment my chest dysphoria isn't that bad. I don't like my boobs and I would certainly prefer to be flat chested. But I think I can stand wearing a sports bra. I guess I would feel much better in a binder though.

However, I am afraid that my chest dysphoria will increase once I get used to wearing a binder. I worry, that when I'll take it off, I will feel worse about my boobs than I do at the moment. What was your experience after you started binding?

2. Dachs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I didn't have too much chest dysphoria until I realised I was trans (that is, I had it but I didn't usually recognise it as such and I just tried to push through without making real changes). Then it all came into focus and got a fair bit worse. I had already been wearing sports bras exclusively for a year because they are comfy and flatten my chest a bit, but getting a binder provided a lot more relief right away.

I bind almost every day while at school/university because I'm out and about a lot, although that started causing mild aching in my chest so I now make sure to give myself days off or half-days more often. These days do not cause any increase in dysphoria because I know it's only for a brief time and it's for my general well-being, although I get very anxious about taking off my jumper/hoodie (especially because in the evening I might just free-boob it instead of wearing a sports bra, if I don't have one to hand). While at home in the holidays, at first I hardly bound or cut my hair for several weeks, but my general discomfort/angst ramped up until I was almost jumping out of my own skin. Finally I realised this was dysphoria, and things vastly improved after binding more often (for a few hours a day) and getting a haircut.

So I guess my experience is that having a binder helps my dysphoria and as long as I use it often (several times a week/not going more than a week without using it) then not binding is okay too. It's a good solution for me. I coped alright just wearing a sports bra for a year, but once my dysphoria came into focus it wasn't enough any more, and because I like binding I use that more often although a sports bra is fine for a few hours or days. The binder didn't cause my dysphoria to increase, it only causes it to decrease.

Will your experience be the same? I don't know. Nobody can know, although you can probably take a pretty good guess. If you want an opinion, I think that if you are already wearing a sports bra and still considering binding then you have already gotten all the information you can from a sports bra, and the best way forward is to try something new. You can make it work.

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use a binder infrequently. Generally, when my dysphoria kicks in and I just can't be comfortable in my skin. That said, the binder takes away the dysphoria for the time being. However, when I am in that mental state, taking off the binder does make me feel worse temporarily.

You have to give your body a break though, and the binder overall helps a lot. I don't know what I would do without it!

Sebby45

4. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll just go for it. After all there's not much point in feeling okay when I could feel better. Feeling worse for a short time in between seems like a reasonable price to pay. I'm so looking forward to being able to wear "men's" shirts properly.