1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to discuss gender identity with therapist?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jadey95, Dec 28, 2016.

1. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most people I know are very unaccepting of trans people, so I am afraid to come out to my therapist although I want to. I am afraid of being treated differently afterwards or her just straight out rejecting me. There are some trans friendly therapists in the area I know for sure, but I would have to look into if I could afford them. Should I tell my therapist? Should I just not say anything and focus on other topics I want to talk about? Should I find a new one?

2. Dachs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    A therapist should not reject you. That's kind of their job. However, not all therapists are good and it could happen. In that case, at least confidentiality rules mean she shouldn't out you to anyone else and you may be able to file a complaint if she does. I have no idea of specifics on this, not being from the US myself -- your therapist should have information about confidentiality and such for you.

Even though you don't know whether this therapist is trans-friendly, I would recommend coming out to her unless you feel unsafe doing so, in which case I would recommend finding a new therapist anyway because you should not feel afraid of rejection or bad consequences from your therapist. If you are always holding back this issue, therapy will not work for you as well as it would otherwise (and if you are afraid of your therapist, therapy might not be effective at all). And your therapist may surprise you with acceptance and knowledge. Regardless, she should make an effort to be understanding and educate herself, even if it takes her a few weeks at first (though you should definitely feel free to find a new therapist if you are not satisfied with her reaction).

By telling this therapist and giving her a chance to react well, you may be able to keep and strengthen the relationship you have already built with her rather than having to start fresh with someone else. If you do need to switch therapists, that's okay and you'll make it, but I think it's worth seeing if this one is good too.

3. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, this is really good advice! I think I'm just scared is all. I'm going to give it a try and if it doesn't go well, look into other therapists.

4. hand in glove

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with everything Dachs said and just wanted to say that I think it's unlikely that your therapist would react badly to it, I was worried how my therapist would react but she reacted good!
    good luck!