1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this binding method safe?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FoxEars, Dec 29, 2016.

1. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello all, I have found a method of binding which has worked very well for me. I am not completely flat, it will be something I will use on a daily basis.
    I'm using an old pair of leggings, having cut the legs off for arm holes and a hole in the crotch for the head. Over this I layered a tight tank top, a loose one and then a sweatshirt. My chest now looks almost completely flat, and I've never felt so happy with something. I also have recently bought a jumper from the men's section, which hangs over my shoulders a little. It makes them look bigger, and my hips a look smaller. I've never felt less dysphoric, and I'm actually really happy.
    However, before I continue with this method I want to make sure it's safe- otherwise I may not be able to transition.
    Thanks.

2. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds pretty safe, just don't wear it more than eight hours a day.

3. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay thank you!

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard of this method of using cut up tights or leggings. So long as the material is elastic to allow for breathing, it should be fine. Just do not use a constricting or stiff material as that can cause lasting damage.

And as Crossy said, don't bind for 8+ hours. Take breaks and, ideally, bind as little as possible for your health. Prolonged binding can alter your breathing patterns and develop back issues. This is part of the reason I do not bind all the time as I have pre-existing chronic back pain.

Listen to your body. If it hurts, stop. But so long as it works and you feel good, I think it is a good thing you've found an effective binding method.

5. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also heard of this method (and tried it), but it didn't work as well for me. I needed something more substantial like a real binder to get results.

But if it works for you, great! Nothing better than kicking dysphoria in the butt. :thumbsup:

Sebby45

6. SystemGlitch

Nothing is as safe as a properly made and properly fitted binder, but from what you've said it sounds like what you've made should be okay. Homemade binders are a bit of touch-and-go in regards to safety. Best thing to do is what others have said, listen to your body.

I'd recommend starting off binding for shorter amounts of time, no more than 4 hours or so, so that your body can get used to the feeling of it. Leaping straight into 8 could be extremely uncomfortable and cause aching. Different people can also tolerate different lengths of time binding - which also depends on the binding method - so make sure that 8 hours is tolerable for you by binding for a few days at home before you go into a situation where you won't be able to take it off without hassle (ie at work or school). Considering this is a homemade binder, I'd definitely recommend that you do not try to overshoot 8 hours. It's possible for some people with some professionally made binders to go up to 10 with no problems, but it's much better not to take the risk if you can help it, and definitely not with a makeshift binder. Never exercise in it, never sleep in it - both can be dangerous even with a professional binder.

If you find that your ribs are beginning to hurt, or you're getting stabbing/shooting pains (even small ones), or you're unable to take a deep breath, then immediately take it off and don't wear it again until the symptoms go away. Same for if you see bruising, stop binding until the bruising has faded. This could mean not binding for a few days or so. If it keeps happening, then it means you're either binding too tightly, or binding for too long, or the material isn't elastic enough. If you take a break due to pain and then after a few days it doesn't go away, or if the pain is severe, or if you notice bad bruising, then see a doctor ASAP.

And just a hint that I've heard helps - try stretching out your shoulders and back after binding all day. It also helps to purposefully cough at points throughout the day and when you take off your binder, it shifts any fluid that might be building up. This should help you bind happier and healthier and with less discomfort overall. :slight_smile:

Good luck with your binder!

#6 SystemGlitch, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  7. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all so much.
    I will end up binding for 11-14 hours of a day simply because of the length of time I spend away from the house. How unsafe is it? I might end up doing more damage to myself when I'm not wearing it.
    Finally, is it normal to feel even more dysphoric when taking off the binder, even though I've gone through years of owning moobs?

8. Dachs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have two professionally-made binders which fit me well, though one is slightly on the small side. I also sometimes bind for 10-16 hours because of how long I spend away from my room and around other people. During October, I did this almost every day with no issues, but at the end of that month the tissue in my chesticles started to ache mildly when I wasn't binding or when I put a binder on. Since then, I've always given myself a few days off each week and I often haven't worn a binder so late in the evening (I'll carry a sports bra in my backpack to change into, or sometimes I'll let my breasts run free if I'm wearing a hoodie), or I've put it on at lunchtime instead of before breakfast. I still can get a bit of pain, but it's very mild, it goes away after a day at most, and I think I'm fine overall.

Listen to your body. Check in with yourself regularly. If you're in pain, even mild pain, remember it and think about whether you can change anything. Carry an alternative to your binder when you can, especially if you're going to have a long day or you started off with some aching/tenderness. If you have trouble breathing, take off your binder immediately. If your ribs hurt, you have rashes or bruises, or your breasts hurt after a couple days without binding, do see a GP promptly and don't keep binding. These things mitigate the risks of wearing a binder.

I don't know how many people experience more dysphoria after taking off a binder, but it sounds like a pretty normal consequence to me. I usually only get dysphoric about my chest while clothed if I have a particular reason to want a binder but I can't wear one right now, or if I've gone a week without binding. For other people it's different. Your dysphoria will be what it is; try and remember that you can bind again soon, and you have to take off the binder for your own well-being.

9. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you, I never thought of taking something with me in case the binder becomes uncomfortable. Haha, I'll definitely remember that.

10. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    14 hours isn't safe. Especially not with a homemade binder. You will need to learn other ways to get your dysphoria under control when you aren't able to bind.

Be cautious with your makeshift binding method. Make sure you can take full, deep breaths easily. If it hurts, take it off. One problem I've heard with this method is that certain materials can dig into your skin and be an issue. Personally, I used to use a pair of tights with a sports bra on top to bind, and it was never an issue, but they were super soft tights so it was more comfy.