1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clothegasm

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SHACH, Dec 29, 2016.

1. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is a silly fun thread. Does anyone like me just have a clothesgasm about really detailed almost nerdy things about their clothes?

I find with mens clothes its a lot easier to get very high quality, thick, well put together materials and the clothes are just so USEFUL compared to womens clothes, like the pockets on pockets omg. I have pocket obsession.

Right now I find myself wanting a really OTT warmer than warm can be, would survive me hiking through a forest full of thorns jacket (because the temperature just dropped in time for christmas here in the South of England) and I'm looking at the Carhartt c26 with arctic lining and I'm just laughing at myself how excited I get about having the warmest lining in the range and how roomy and useful the pockets look, and the fact that its workwear so it'll be really hardwearing. I feel like a nerd, then again, I am always super nerdy about shopping, I over-research everything. Maybe this is why I only just got into clothes shopping - I finally found a way to be nerdy about it.

Similarly I hugely appreciate having all my jumpers be pure wool and the long sleeved T-shirts I got from GAP being the perfect thickness of pure cotton and the first thing I bought with my student loan was doc martens, like I'm being a bit obsessed with the perfect natural-fibre, super utile winter clothing rn. (Oh and less utile but luxurious - bought a black velvet bomber from Topman for going out at night... though tbh it's still way thicker and warmer than similar womens products, and had way more pockets)

I dunno, just wondering what are the weird ridiculous details that overexcite you about clothing?

I might not be able to get that Carhartt jacket though because apparently their clothes run really large and I'm a tall but slim girl (5'9", 10 stone).

Also btw who gets as pissed off as I do about the pocketlessness of womens clothing?

#1 SHACH, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes! Pocketless clothes are one of the most annoying things ever! I mean, who wants to carry a whole handbag for just a phone and some money??? Though not wanting to carry a handbag for me probably has to do with not wanting to be perceived as a woman. Anyway, pockets are amazing.

3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well not wanting to carry a handbag shouldn't need to have anything to do with being a woman. They're literally designing womens clothes to force you to have a handbag. Seriously yeah, I often don't have enough stuff that I really need to fit in a handbag aaaand just, I want my hands free. The idea of always having one arm full of handbag is so impractical.

The sorta wacky skeptic in me feels like the uselessness of a lot of women's clothing is a form of oppression - women don't do stuff that require both being out and about on your feet and having two hands free, women do delicate things so have thinner useless pocketless clothes - if you're doing any activity where those clothes seem weak and cold and useless then your doing woman wrong. The other side of me just thinks I am such a major tomboy I'm just not seeing the benefit of womens clothes and also that I sound like I'm wearing a tinfoil hat when I say my last point.

#3 SHACH, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016