1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to walk in a masculine way

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Sebby45, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi everyone,

So, my body dysphoria is kicking in again. Super frustrating. I want to look more like a man in physique. I got my hair cut even shorter today. Score! I already lift weights, to build upper body mass. And I bind, but without really loose clothing, nothing can hide the horrible fact that I have curves and wide hips. :bang:

But my main problem is walking. How can I get myself to walk more like a man? I try to observe guys, but I just don't seem to be able to get a hang of it. I always tend to end up "swaying." I don't want to swagger, just have a more neutral tread. I know I can't change my frame, so nothing can help certain problems (curves, hips, voice, etc.) But maybe there is some way to alter my gait slightly?

Any ideas out there?

Sebby45

2. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suggest placing down a strip of fabric or a blanket along the floor, running across a room and maybe the width of A4 paper. Practice walking with one foot either side, and do the shoulder thing a little. Try not to move your hips up and down, as that makes them appear wider. Just keep practicing this, and continue watching and imitating cis guys in public. (Try not to make that part obvious though )

3. Dachs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    When you put your left foot forward, keep your left shoulder and left hip in line with it. Turn your body slightly instead of letting your hip wander away from you or move vertically. Smaller things also worth doing, from the ground up:

• Always put your heel down first, never your toes;
    • Don't put one foot directly in front of the other (or worse, put your left foot to the right of your right foot and vice versa);
    • Experiment with letting your leg below the knee kick forward as you bring that foot forward for a step;
    • Just tuck your hands in your pockets so that you don't have to worry about moving your arms;
    • When stepping onto your left foot, move your left shoulder forwards and down slightly too, as if you were walking with it.

Put all of this together and you should have a rather exaggerated male gait (possibly even a swagger, shock horror). Once you have it down smoothly and you can break out of feminine walking habits, you can work on making it more subtle and less like a teenage boy compensating for something.

Oh, and a great place to observe random people without looking too creepy is while waiting at a bus stop (whether you are actually waiting for a bus doesn't matter). You can have a sort of bored vacant stare at the ground across from you while actually watching how everybody walks.

4. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Also, if its not working well don't worry... I am always told I walk lke my dad but I still have a walk that fits a lot of feminine characteristics... not all guys swagger like that.

5. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Apparently I walk in a naturally masculine way, so I guess I could help. Don't walk with your legs too closely together (i.e. one directly in front of the other), instead keep at least a few inches of noticeable space between them. Definitely take larger strides. Also I've noticed that most men tend to turn their toes slightly outwards when walking, whereas women's feet remain parallel to each other.

I've found that putting your hands in your pockets improves your gait naturally. This is because it forces you to loosen your shoulders, which in turn prevents your hips from swaying. All this contributes to the side-to-side movement that men tend to do, as opposed to women who walk in a more linear way. Having said that, don't overdo your shoulder movement; a small amount is more than enough.

6. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The line thing is very true. Also if you don't have your hands in your pockets bring your shoulders back so you're standing up very straight (yes I know that makes your chest stick out) and keep your arms loose but don't swing them; let them move with your walking.

7. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's more of a lunge, with elbows out.

8. SiKiHe

Oh man. Time to break out some old theater tips. >:slight_smile:

One thing to take some confidence in is all men [and women, and other] walk differently. Everyone has a sort of character to their walk, which is influenced by all sorts of things. Some people with perfectly good legs can have a hitch in their giddy up, and will lean to one side or the other, and they'd never notice it!

One way to practice a good masculine walk is to over do it, majorly. Everything these other fine people have said sums up the idea of masculine traits so I won't repeat 'em. So consider those things, and practice walking doing those things, but overboard. You'll feel a bit insane but it will be fun and it will help. As you start to feel how your body moves when you go overboard, slowly bring it down a peg, and another, until you feel like you've almost stopped doing all the things you had been. You'll find they're becoming much more subtle and natural, and it will be less of a physical walk and more of a feeling of walking strong and masc. And if you consciously do this long enough, you'll find you do it without thinking about it eventually.

Good luck Sebby

9. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A huge thank you to all members who replied with tips. I feel like I have a good starting point now.

Luckily, I live alone, so I won't get insane stares! :icon_bigg

I already have the natural habit of walking with my hands in my pockets, so that is a plus. I tend to slouch though, with shoulders rolled in, rather than out. That might need some fixing. Although I noticed that when I wear a binder, I naturally want to stand up taller.

All in all, I'll start practicing, just as soon as this wretched cold goes away.

*sniffle*

Sebby45

10. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wanted to say that I have been getting a little practice in today, and I think I have the concept down. I just have to concentrate. If I start thinking about other things, I lose it. Normal for a beginner after all!

But the tips everyone gave are very helpful.

Thanks again.

Sebby45

11. lawlight

This might possibly be an odd method, but apparently one of the reasons cisguys have a wider gait is to avoid squishing their balls, so. To emulate that, maybe try sticking a sock between your legs (kind of like a packer, but lower), so your thighs don't naturally come together as much?

12. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi lawlight,

I've heard of that method before, just never tried it. I'm not looking for a perfect gait, just one that isn't overly feminine. Thanks for the tip, though!

Sebby45