1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused about Gender Identity.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FriendOfAquaman, Jan 1, 2017.

1. FriendOfAquaman

Sobreda,Setubal,Portugal,Iberian Peninsula,Europe
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've never thought about this until a few months back. When I started having dreams about me as a female,and then I started thinking about how I would actually like being female.
    As a male,my erm,lower area, makes me uncomfortable, especially when I have a erection, I tend to only use bulky pants/shorts cause I just want to "hide" it.
    I've always been friends with both girls and boys, I like the same stuff as both genders,and I have traits of both.
    Unlike other boys my age (14),I don't like fighting,showing off muscles,etc, roughhousing ,stuff like that.I do like swearing a lot (but then again,that's a gender neutral trait) I dislike most sports,except tennis. I do however love action and violent video games.
    Like girls my age,I like having meaningful conversations,and I usually confide in one of my best friends,who is female,when I want those conversations,I'm also shy and have some anxiety.
    I've never cross dressed, but one time i accidentally used my sisters shirt to school, and it was ones of those shirts with the shoulder showing,and I really liked it and found it comfortable.

Could anyone :help: me out?
    Thanks

2. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, there. Thank you for sharing your concerns, it's always good to be honest with yourself.

Now clothing and unconventional gender presentation are not always indicative of gender. You can be a feminine boy, tomboyish girl etc. So that is a possibility.

The biggest question you will need to decide for yourself is: "Do I identify with a gender other than the one I was assigned at birth?" If yes or possibly, then yes, you may be transgender.

Presentation (for example, dressing feminine when assigned male at birth) often goes hand in hand with being trans, but not always, so that's why it's not always an indicator.

If you decide you are just a boy with feminine traits, that is fine. If you decide you are trans, that is great as well. But, ultimately we can only guide you and cannot decide what your gender is. Only you can :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 1st Jan 2017 at 12:41 PM ----------

*indicative of gender identity

3. FriendOfAquaman

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I identify with both genders,but I can see myself being happier as female, Like I said before,I've never cross dressed, not that I'm not curious about that,but that its hard,as no one in my house has a schedule for coming home,I never know when its "safe" to experiment.

Anyhow thanks for your help/advice! It means a lot!

4. jadey95

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No problem I'm glad to help :slight_smile:

It definitely sounds like you are starting to have an idea of what your gender identity may be. I hope you do find some time to experiment as that may also help you get an understanding of who you are, but I agree with you that safety comes first.

5. SiKiHe

Someone once told me to imagine yourself as the last living person on earth. No one to observe you. How would you live? Say you can make a wish and magically be the sex you desire. Would you make that wish? How would you feel walking around the world. How would you present with no one to observe?

6. Dachs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Only you can know what your gender identity is. Being like a stereotype of one gender doesn't make you that gender, but if you think you would be happier/more comfortable/more successful spending your life as a girl, then that's a pretty strong indicator that you might be a girl. Discomfort with male anatomy and wanting to hide your anatomy sounds like textbook gender dysphoria. For many trans people, dysphoria starts at puberty (though for many trans people it starts in childhood, and for some trans people it starts in adulthood)

Whatever your idenity, do you want to do anything about it? You might decide yes, you want to dress in girls' clothes when you can or you want to research taking hormones or you want to practise speaking with a high-pitched voice. You might decide no, you want to stay as you are. You can do as much or as little as you want to do. If you're comfortable with experimenting with being more feminine or transitioning, that could help you work out your identity some more: if you like the changes you make, you might well be trans, and if you don't like them, then you might not be trans. If you can't work out what your identity is, that's okay; you can still do what you want to do.

7. FriendOfAquaman

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I wanna thank you all for your imput,it means a lot, and i'm going to use the advice y'all gave me, I'm also gonna try to discover more about my self,

P.S Aquaman is Life