1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The SRS/GCS thread.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BrookeVL, Jan 2, 2017.

1. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We were talking about it in the "Venting" thread. I'd like to continue, but I don't want to derail that thread too much. Discussing our thoughts on it, and how it pertains to us.

I'm leaning heavily towards not having it, personally. It's risky, expensive, and the maintenance is frankly not something I want to deal with. Not to mention being fine having a penis doesn't make me not trans/not trans enough, or not a girl. It just makes me a woman who happens to have a penis.

I also don't have a ton of bottom dysphoria, and most of what I DO have will actually be helped by HRT.

Most of my hangups with it are sexual not functional. I feel like I would need the surgery to have sex the way I want to, but I could still enjoy sex with my equipment. Just not in certain ways.

Do I want a vagina? Heck yeah. If I could have one without all the risks and maintenance, I would sign up immediately. Do I think I should have been born with one? Absolutely. Is it my penis's fault she was born attached to me? No it's not her fault.

All that said, is it possible I may change my mind? Yes, it's entirely possible. I may decide, as I get further in, that I need it to feel complete as a woman. But right now, I don't.

2. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I may need it if Michigan state laws don't change to let me change my documents to say female.

3. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Luckily California makes things easy, so I shouldn't have any issues when I get there. And PA currently doesn't require surgery if I stay. But yeah, that does suck Zoe.(*hug*)

#3 BrookeVL, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  4. ARC36

I'm not a woman so I wouldn't know much about SRS/GCS for girls, but I do know that SRS/GCS for men is somewhat terrifying. For a while I didn't even think it was possible, and when I found out it was at first I was thrilled, but then I realized the surgeons have to cut skin off your legs, and it's hardly functional and potentially really dangerous and I was all "no thank you". This kinda sucks because I do have some bottom dysphoria, although this is only really intense when I'm in/considering sexual situations (the thought of being penetrated makes my skin crawl).
    As soon as science can guarentee me a healthy and full functioning dick, I'll be first in line for surgery, but until then, the cons outweigh the pros.

It's awful some states laws though, we shouldn't have to undergo potentially dangerous surgeries just for our governments to recognize us as men/women. And what about the people who can't afford it or have a medical condition preventing them from undergoing it, even if they want to?

Maybe we should just all agree to become scientists and doctors with the goal of improving transitional surgery.

5. oh my god I

I really wish I could have SRS. Or at the very least just some kind of -ectomy. Even if I ultimately detransition I will most likely get an orchiectomy. Right now can't afford it.

6. SiKiHe

In my thread about my fiancé I mentioned I've considered surgery. For me it's an all or non. I don't want to take T unless I have srs/grs. While I'd like to have male genitalia, like arc said, it's pretty dangerous. And frightening. Plus how my fiancé and I have been, I don't feel I need it. Sex doesn't bother me. It's more about presentation.

7. Natasha Elyssa

SRS is my ultimate goal right now next to graduating college. It is my ultimate goal in my transition, I mean, that's what I plan to work towards. I like to think of SRS as the end of my physical transition. You know? Like, I really want SRS because it will probably make me feel better and I can feel more like a cis woman. I do see the point though, it isn't really necessary and is very much a declinable option. Who knows, maybe I won't want it when I get there. Now, I should be worrying about starting my transition instead of what I want to do at the end of it. For me personally, I really want SRS. I feel that it will make me feel better, more comfortable, and will make me that much closer to a cis woman. I really want risk free surgery as well, but I also want to be able to get pregnant and have kids, and that's probably not going to be available for quite some time. Especially risk free surgery. I feel there will always be an element of risk when it comes to surgery, something can always go wrong. But, I'd much rather take the risk and claim the reward than stay where I am or pause my transition near the end just because something can go wrong. You know? I feel like the risk is worth it, the only thing that can stop me from getting SRS is if it is deemed unsafe as a whole, is dangerous for me (like it could kill me or something), or I can't afford it. But nothing would get rid of my desire to be as close to a cis girl as possible. But meh, everyone is allowed to decide what they want. I want it, but that doesn't mean that it's essential in any way. It's your decision, your body, your money, your life. It's up to you. Nobody can force you to get SRS, and it doesn't make you any less of a woman/man/etcetera just because you don't get a surgery that's mostly cosmetic (imo). It's you're choice in the end. :slight_smile: <3

8. Dachs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I honestly don't know if I'll get SRS. Testosterone -- definitely. Top surgery -- yes. SRS? I don't think I will know until I've been on T for a while and experienced some effects, and until I've properly tried using packers/STPs. At the moment I have essentially no sex drive and not much bottom dysphoria, so while I'd like a dick it's not that big a deal, it's just a bit inconvenient not to have one. Once I'm at a later stage in my transition, I may decide it's worth it after all. I'm not scared of it and I don't think the results are bad, though I've heard that rerouting the urethra can lead to infections which isn't great.

9. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure if I want bottom surgery...I'm definitely getting top surgery and going on T. I have pretty bad bottom dysphoria, I do want a penis but neither metoidioplasty nor phalloplasty are that great IMO. I don't think either come too close to having a 100% functional penis but it's better than nothing to me. Plus, like Dachs said, there's the chance of infection and I believe rejection from the phalloplasty...I realize there's risks with any surgery but when it's surgery on the genitals, I'm really wary of taking risks...I'm still considering it because I don't think I can alleviate my dysphoria without it.

10. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Brooke I love that your penis is a girl XD only you

11. randomconnorcon

Right now, my thinking is SRS is not high enough on my list of priorities to be worth any kind of risk. I will gladly take the pros and cons of testosterone and I will go through the pain and recovery and potential reconstructions of top surgery. But the only time I really suffer bottom dysphoria is when I (try to - and forgive the bluntness) masturbate and when I'm in the shower, because they're the only times I'm naked enough to notice what I don't have but should and it really messes me up. Any other time, it's like a phantom senstation and I feel like packers/STPs, etc, will help in general.

I do think about bottom surgery, though, and I do watch out for better methods, because in the end, a penis is what I'd rather have. But until the procedures are better, I'm okay with what I have.

12. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

Exactly, it isn't high enough on my priority list to be worth the risks. HRT and breast augmentation, I'm ready for all the risks and rewards associated with those. Even FFS, IF I need it. I want to be on HRT a while and see how things change. Maybe I'm not okay with her, but my dislike of/dysphoria towards one specific aspect of her is masking my feelings towards her otherwise? Only time will tell...

13. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey if you are okay with what you have down there, embrace it! You're lucky not to have a huge need for a major surgery like that. Of course feelings do change though.

I'm much happier with my junk after starting hormones personally, but I'm probably even more interested in metoidioplasty than ever since getting a little taste of that dick life. I'm glad I have zero desire for phallo though because that is a hard core and expensive ass surgery compared to meta.

#13 Rickystarr, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  14. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have weighed in my mind a lot about bottom surgery. And if the procedure had less risk, was more fine-tuned, and not so damn expensive I would be much more insistent upon it. But fully functional, low risk acquisition of penises for transguys are looking at least 10 years off.

Then there is the factor of why. Why would I want that, if, as someone completely disinterested in having sex, it does not serve its primary function? Basically, I think that it has to do with feeling natural and complete. I would want it to be that if I were nude and someone saw me, I would look like any other man. The fact that I don't is almost humiliating.

I am not saying that every trans person needs all the surgeries or even HRT. Just personally, I don't think I could go my entire life without having bottom surgery; I would feel incomplete. Though for now and even the next decade or two, I would be happy with just testosterone and top surgery (a must for me). The remaining bottom dysphoria could be placated with a packer.

Perhaps my mind will change over time and I accept my body as it changes with HRT. I retain that possibility. It is just a difficult thing to not feel indignation about all of this.

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd love to have bottom surgery, but it feels like there's still too many risks of complications for me. I'm also still oin that mourning phase where I'm not sure when I'll be able to get over that I won't have fully functioning parts at the end of the day if I am post-op.

I'm not on the fence with getting a hysto, because I'm still holding out for the possibility of having a biological kid with my partner (who is also trans and unable to carry). It's a whole mess.