1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to economics and survive on my own?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Natasha Elyssa, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Natasha Elyssa

I feel like I need some help/advice with how to survive economically on my own. Like, funding transition and paying for college and apartments and stuff like that. I have a car, but I have to keep it in my mom's name and under my mom's insurance so that I can drive and not pay a fortune to the insurance company, so I don't know what to do with that. I want my car with me while I'm in college, but I can't afford to pay for it. And with everything (college loans, cell phone bill, insurance, medical coverage, etcetera) that my parents claim they're going to help me with, I don't know what they're actually going to do. There's always uncertainty with my family. My dad wants me to go to the local wannabe Harvard former "community college" and pay my own bills. He has the "Ah, you're capable of doing it yourself. I'm not paying for it. I can't swing that, I can't afford it. Screw off. Go to hell. Oh, but you can't get a job you're too young, live life first. What do you mean you didn't do the dishes? I gotta go to work and you didn't do anything for me? I have to take out loans for you, I have to support you, you'll never make it on your own." He can be very hypocritical and rude to both me and my sister. It's really annoying with the "Get out of my house" bit followed by the "You need me, you can't live without me" bit. And my mom is almost the same, but more open to things. And it takes a lot of forcing things on them to get anything done.

I really need to know what to do if my parents start demanding I pay my own bills if I can't afford half of the expenses. You know? I don't trust them to hold my hand as they say they will, and I know they're going to constantly harass me about everything and anything. I also want to be independent, I want my own apartment and life. I don't want to rely heavily on my parents. But I don't know how I can manage. I'll probably have to get multiple jobs, but I know lots of people who had to work every second they weren't in class just to get by. I can't imagine what living expenses will be like. I probably should sit down and talk to my parents (most likely my mom) and see what we can do. With student loans, regular medical expenses, groceries, apartment rent, transition costs, car, phone, etcetera, I don't know how I can do it.

And I also need to figure what I have to do to make even. I need to manage expenses and not blow all the petty cash on things I probably don't need, aka useless spending. Like, I really want to build a tanky desktop computer for gaming and college work, a custom lightsaber, I want to customize my car, stuff like that. But, I probably need that money to be used elsewhere. How do I manage spending and costs and if certain things are even worth the money to begin with?

I know I need multiple jobs in college. I don't know what my parents are going to help me with (if anything). And I have no idea how to manage everyday expenses. Hiw do I pay rent and keep my car? How do I get Internet and phone service? What should I do? I mean, this seems very difficult to me. Paying rent, utilities, college loans, groceries, furniture, household supplies (toilet paper, soap, etcetera), car, medical, miscellaneous, transition, etcetera. What should I do or be doing to prepare for life in college when I'm probably going to be on my own? What steps do I need to take in order to be able to handle myself financially and economically? I desperately need education about this. :| <3

2. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Take a deep breath.

There is a lot of good information and resources for you to get on track and ahead of the game. A few questions -
    When do you plan to start college?
    Do you currently have a job?

To start Here is an in-depth budget workshop set up just like a college course would be to help you. I would print it out and go through it as if you were doing an online or self-study program.
    Practical-Money-Skills-College-Prep

If you have a job and time before you head out to college, open a youth savings and checking account. Credit Unions have great options for those under 25 and most have some form of financial training online for those who have an account with them.

Don't over worry or stress. Yes, financial planning is a must for everyone. If you stay away from credit card debt and don't get gung ho about buying everything that comes to mind, it is not that difficult. Once you get to college, if you don't live on campus, you can find a roommate or a boarding house situation fairly easy.

Here are some other great resources:
    This site has some good games to play for learning
    Financial games

Two more
    Practical money skills

Financial literacy

3. Natasha Elyssa

I plan to start college this fall, fall 2017. And I do not have a job. I had a lady's phone number who said she could get me a job as a park ranger, but I looked and up and found out I'm too young. Other than that, from what people have told me, nobody's hiring people my age where I live. I turn 18 in a few days, but that might not help me since everybody wants to hire people with college degrees and not high school students. To be quite frank, I'm running out of time to earn money before college. All my schools but one are in California, that one being right outside Boston Massachusetts, and I don't know what the job market's like in those states, or individual towns (considering they're all scattered). I supposedly have a savings account my parents have been putting money in for a while, although it's probably not a lot (especially since it's all money from relatives and stuff from birthdays and graduations). When I got to college I want my own apartment so that I don't have to travel home during every break and I can have my own space and independence and stuff. But like, a one bedroom apartment costs like $2,400 a month plus utilities and groceries. I just don't know how I can do it. I don't know how much my parents will contribute, what I have in savings (parents refuse to talk about it, hide it, or just don't know), and what I'm going to do when I'm in college. My government class in school is switching to economics soon, and the teacher says he's going to teach us this stuff and make a life model (rent, furniture, like a simulation of finance and stuff) as a project, so that;s good I guess. Anyway, thanks for the help. I've got a lot of things to take care of, and this is definitely going to be rough.

4. ARC36

I don't know much about insurance finances ect... But I'm a poor high school senior so I know a hell of a lot about financing college.

Just a list of things I would suggest doing:
    1) Fill out the FAFSA
    Even if you're not poor enough to qualify for a very large pell grant, colleges use this information to sometimes provide financial aid through their own programs, which can help students pay for the costs of college their parents don't cover.
    2) Apply for the work study program at the school you attend
    This will help earn back some of your tuition if you get in, you can also RA and TA to cover some of the costs, as these are often paid positions, but it depends on the college.
    3) Apply for scholarships.
    Even if you think you don't qualify it doesn't hurt to try. Some scholarships have so few applicants you'll have pretty decent chances if you apply to a lot of them. Play to your strengths. There are scholarships for lots of different things, art, writing, sports, music. Just google them and a ton should pop up. You can also apply to these when you're in college, it doesn't have to all be right now. Although some are only available to high school seniors, so now would be the best time to look into them.
    4) Apply for interest-less loans
    Some schools and student assistance programs provide these, they're easier to pay back than regular loans and are available to a lot of different people. Look for this option on your college's website and other college financing websites.
    5) Hope and pray that your test scores, achievements, and grades are good enough to get you merit/academic scholarship consideration.
    This is pretty much automatic, you will be evaluated for consideration when the admissions office reviews your application. Cross your fingers.
    6) Work summers if you can't handle holding down a job during the school year
    7) Dont freak out.
    Loans are not the end of the world, and can be managed easily with the right skills and practice.