1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First blood test

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by wolf of fire, Jan 9, 2017.

1. wolf of fire

So after 3 months my doctor has my referral nearly ready, just some blood work and it is done. What do I mean just? I've never had a blood test, I am terrified.

2. AnguishXx

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That won't hurt much, the doctors will take care for you!
    I think you should just fast, until the test is done, and than maybe get something sweet to eat, as a reward and to recover your energy ^_^

3. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As long as you aren't already terrified of needles, blood tests are nothing. I had my first one too before starting HRT and I didn't even notice when the needle went in.

Maybe my veins are just really experienced and it was like throwing a needle down a hallway.

But that's just not true haha.

Try making conversation with the nurse and you won't even notice it.

#3 Rickystarr, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  4. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't fast unless you were instructed to or are really worried about becoming nauseated. In healthcare we mostly see people passing out from not eating or drop in BP. Just eat something mild and light before you go in and don't forget water. Take a little snack with you to have once you're done.

5. WarmEmbrace

I think some tests might require you to not eat certain things before, so better check with them if/what you are allowed to eat.

6. wolf of fire

It's fasting, and I am petrified of needles.

7. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it varies a lot from phlebotomist to phlebotomist. Some are so good, you don't feel a thing. Others you will feel a slight pinch. It also depends on how easy it is to pinpoint your veins. I would suggest just taking deep breaths and looking away from the needle. It will be over in a flash.

Then, be sure to eat a snack and re-hydrate!

Good luck,

Sebby45

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ask them to make sure the alcohol evaporates completely before the needle stick: far less painful that way, and really, all you will feel is a slight pinch. If you focus on this being a good and necessary thing to do, it seems to be less frightening (and look away, I always do).

9. rokara

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am absolutely terrified of needles. I won't even let my wife poke me with one of her dull plastic needles she uses for her plastic canvas projects.

That being said, what worked best for me is to look away, close my eyes and think about something else. It's gotten me through the various blood tests I've had done over my life, the 3 times I've had to have an I.V. put in for surgery and the 2 times I've donated blood.

Best thing to do with any blood test is to follow your doctor's instructions on fasting and drink plenty of fluids. Why, you may ask? By keeping up with your fluids (water especially), it will keep your veins open and enlarged, making it easier to get the needle in and get the sample for the test.

The test itself will last anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple minutes, depending on how many samples the doc needs. And they will always get you out of there as quickly as possible :slight_smile:

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who has been on T for almost two years and fairly modded, needles scare the shit out of me too.

Getting blood work done isn't too bad, it's usually only a minute or so of your time--not even on a good day. If the needle itself freaks you out, look away when it happens. If you're worried, ask them to walk you through what they're doing to make it less intense. They should tell you when they're going to stick you, so you can be prepared and they'll usually tell you to take a deep breath when they go to do it. That helps me a lot.

It's not really a big deal, and it's done and over with pretty fast. They don't take much blood either, so you don't need to worry about getting lightheaded or anything.

11. MulticoloredSox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I've had many blood tests done and it isn't that big of a deal. You only feel the needle go in but you don't notice the actual taking of the blood. It really just feels like someone is pinching you when they put the needle in and that's it.
    They also won't take a lot of blood, they just fill a couple of vials so I don't think you could get lightheaded or sick from that.
    It will be over before you know it! Besides it's as one step closer to getting where you want to be :slight_smile:

12. wolf of fire

My veins look like rivers going through a frozen wateland so no worries there. Can't hurt worse than my navel piercing so I don't know why I'm worried.

13. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It will hurt a thousand times less than a piercing.