1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy...and gender dysmorphia???

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Chairman2012, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Chairman2012

Out Status:
    Some people
    It's been a while since I was last on here and a lot had happened. I'm a trans guy and I've been going to therapy for a few months now in hopes of starting testosterone (being a minor and all, the place I'm getting it from won't let me get a prescription until I have a letter from a therapist :dry: ). My consultation appointment is coming up pretty quickly now so I decided to see what my therapist thought. She says that she's diagnosed me with "gender dysmorphia". I'm just really confused because I've heard of body dysmorphia and gender dysphoria, but I've never heard of the term she used and I can't find reference to it anywhere. I'm probably just overreacting but I'd really like to know whether that will be considered "sufficient enough" to get a testosterone prescription. So if any of you guys have ever stumbled across that it'd be cool if you could explain what it means.

2. Kal

Kal

Out Status:
    A few people
    Never heard of the two terms being combined, could be a typo? I'm sure there are more informed people on here than me that could clarify.

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure your therapist meant gender dysphoria.

This is the quick Google definition: "the condition of feeling one's emotional and psychological identity as male or female to be opposite to one's biological sex."

Hope that helps.

Sebby45

---------- Post added 10th Jan 2017 at 12:30 PM ----------

This is the definition of dysmorphia: "deformity or abnormality in the shape or size of a specified part of the body."

I really think they made a typo. :slight_smile: