1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How rare is bi-gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KitSylph, Jan 11, 2017.

1. KitSylph

Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I think being bi-gender comes across as especially rare because so few people have even heard the term, so that it seems likely that there are a lot of people out there who would identify as bi-gender if they knew it was a thing. I was among them, a couple of months ago!

But even in groups of trans people, bi-gender seems to be really rare. I don't think there are any others at the Vermont Pride Center, where I've been going to trans* support group meetings. In the materials for First Event in Massachusetts in a couple of weeks, the only reference I can find is one presenter, whose presentation touches on being bi-gender but seems to mostly deal with broader gender issues. There are a very small number of apparently amateur-written books on Amazon, none of them compelling enough for me to buy, and the press coverage seems to be about a grand total of three people. Two of the people seem to be covered in only a "isn't this weird!" way, and the third one is covered in depth in a podcast/radio program, but has some unusual qualities that dominate the program and by the end of the show, when they do follow-up, is transitioning as MTF and no longer identifies as bi-gender.

There's the bigender.net site, but it receives only a few posts a month. I don't think it's attracted the critical mass necessary to keep ongoing discussions.

So it's easy to feel like there are very, very few of us! Are there more of us here I haven't yet met? Are there any organizations made up of bi-gender people out there? Any resources you've found that are specifically about bi-gender people and that do it well?

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found a study that shows 3 percent of trans MtF and 8 percent of trans FtMs are nonbinary (bigender, genderqueer, agender etc). However, I also believe that because of social pressures from within the trans community there are a lot of nonbinary trans individuals deny their second, because they're so encouraged to embrace the gender that is opposite their body, and are sometimes accused of not being "real trans" if they have any part of them that matches their assigned gender at birth. I've been told several times that I should just let go my female half and embrace my male half, transition, and I will be much happier. I know myself well enough to know it isn't true, but I think some who are less certain of their selves because of the promise of happiness at the end of that rainbow.

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2017 at 10:12 AM ----------

Let me try that last sentence again... I think some who are less certain of their selves will ignore/deny half of their self because of the promise of happiness at the end of that rainbow.

4. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my opinion it is a different way of solving the same underlying problem. Often. Not always. But often.