1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with wig clips??

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KitSylph, Jan 13, 2017.

1. KitSylph

Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm AMAB and bi-gender, and in order to do a better job of presenting as the female me I've been growing my hair out, but it's a slow process, so I bought some very inexpensive clip-in hair extensions to experiment. The problem is that despite reading and watching videos, I can't figure out how to work the clips that are supposed to secure them to my existing hair. I think the clips are supposed to open a little to clip in, rather than just catching at the hair like a hair comb, but I can't get them to open. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something obvious and basic! Can anyone help?

Here's a picture of the exact extensions, with the clips:

[​IMG]

2. KitSylph

Out Status:
    Some people
    I finally figured this out! And it was something simple: each clip is bowed, so that the side facing outward (through the hair) makes a little hill. If you push in on the highest point of the hill, it pops in, making a little valley, and that's how it opens. It's very easy to open and close once this is clear, and the clips worked very well in my quick trial. Surprisingly, my cheap, $10 hair extensions seem to work pretty well, even blending acceptably with my hair color!

Since my hair has grown out enough to get a few inches in length, another purchase today might make the hair extensions not very important: I got a small (.5 inch) flat hair iron, which ironically (see what I did there?) is very good for making curls in short hair. A curly pixie style might do just fine for me until my hair is long enough to do something more with!

I also got some temporary hair color to see how covering up my bit of gray might look.

Is anyone else struggling with hair issues, or just me?