1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to ask for a GP referral

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by sam314159, Jan 13, 2017.

1. sam314159

I've been having to see a lot of different GPs recently about depression because I haven't been near my registered GP over Christmas, but I'm going to be able to see them soon. I feel very lost about gender and I probably need to be referred somewhere, but I am not sure how to bring up the topic with them and I'm afraid I'll just clam up (I have Aspergers and struggle to phrase things). I also have a few other concerns:

I'm worried that they will just send me to general counselling run by university, and I have had bad experiences there in the past (they made things worse and repeatedly broke confidentiality).

I'm worried my GP will inform people in the university of what I tell them. I am in a part that is single sex, and I am yet to find out about their policy on people who are trans or non binary and how it will affect the rest of my studies.

I know it's probably a better idea to wait until I finish my studies, but I have been in such a low place recently I don't think I can last much longer before something goes really wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. Really

Is the an LGBT centre near you that you could email and ask for suggestion for a gender therapist you could ask your GP to refer you to and/or an LGBT-friendly drop in clinic where one of the GPs could refer you? They might even have someone there you could start the conversation with, if only by email if you can't get in to see them.

I don't think it's necessary to wait to finish your studies. If even one conversation can make you feel a little better, it'll be worth it.