1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School meeting about bathrooms.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by nightowl88, Jan 13, 2017.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is probably going to be a rant but I'm really frustrated. As a result of me coming out at school the grand total of trans kids in my school is 2. One trans guy and one trans girl. There is a board meeting on Tuesday and several parents have gotten together to get some time to talk during the board meeting and to higher a lawyer. They want to prevent us from using the bathroom. Now I go to a tiny school and the only gender neutral bathroom outside the nurse is in the elementary wing and this is something that's not common knowledge I just learned this today and that is extremely out of the way so most teachers are hesitant to let us go to the bathroom if we aren't using the bathroom of our gender identity because it takes too long. I know that there is a law saying we can use our preferred bathrooms and I heard the parents found a loophole but there is no evidence to back the rumor I heard. I'm not worried about this I'm just so mad. I've only met one student who has a problem with us it's only the parents giving us crap about it. My friend is so worried as well because one day before she talked to the principal about using the girls bathroom she changed in the elementary kids bathroom and she heard a rumor about the parents claiming she is a predator. And this was at 10pm when preparing for a theatre rehearsal where no one was in the area of that bathroom and she is so afraid of what might happen. I am jus so mad about all of this it's ridiculous.

2. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Those parents need to grow the fuck up. "ohh noooo, someone had to PEE! they MUST be a sexual predator!" Seriously, they need to stop acting so immature and take a lesson from the kids who can actually respect each other.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's hard for you, I feel your pain as a trans teacher. If the school has any sense they will protect the student at all costs. It is their job.

4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

My high school prevented me from going into the boys' bathroom, but it was only the school direction that was opposed to it. Other students didn't care and I didn't hear anything about parents.

I had to use the only gender neutral bathroom in the whole school, and they'd often ''forget'' about me and keep the door locked. I got tired of it, so I used the boys' when no one was around.

In your case, the parents are obviously out of line, but I'm sure there must be SOME of them who are on your side. Have your friends talked to their parents about the situation? What do they think? Could your parents do something? Normally, when you have a meeting, you're supposed to have both sides of the argument.

All in all, hope everything goes well. I remember when I had to hold it in all day and I don't wish that on anyone.

5. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my gods, that is terrible. The school should protect the students at all cost. Obviously the parents should learn from the kids. I feel your pain on the small school. My k-12 is roughly 250 kids and I'm the only binary trans kid so there's never been a discussion about restrooms yet. If we ever arrive there I know that it won't be a pleasant battle. The prom dress I'm going to wear is going to stir up enough trouble as it is. What the parents said about your friend is terrible. I hope you can get this solved and figured out. Also, if you don't mind me asking, will you or your friend be present at this board meeting? I've been looking into the legal rights of transgender students for an essay I'm doing for school. I could maybe share some of my findings with you, if you'd like. I don't have a lot on bathroom usage atm, but I could look into it some more. It's better to be prepared and do your research first than to be caught stuck on the mud, right? If you're interested you can just message me or something. I hope that the school protects you two as it should.

6. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My school is about the same size as yours. I've looked into the laws and we can't legally be forced to use a gender neutral bathroom and my school knows I know about this so they were being very careful about bringing it up when I discussed coming out to teachers with them. I don't know if my friend is goi g to the meeting but I can't go because I have to work concessions all week and will be busy at the time of the meeting.