1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out at Work

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by A Wanderer, Jan 18, 2017.

1. A Wanderer

A Wanderer Guest

So, a lot's been going on. I've been working on dealing with my fear of people discovering I was born a boy. It's not like it's something I can hide forever anyway. I'm living in the town I grew up in and I chose night shift just to avoid people finding out. I've been in stealth to all but a few, as far as I know, for a couple years.

When I was working into the morning shift, our store opened and customers came in as usual. A few of them recognized me and I had a pretty big panic. The few hours I work into the day are always the scariest for that reason. When I do bump into people I knew from school, they usually just stare and wonder where they've seen me before. I've only had someone confront me once and I managed to deny who I was. One way or another, it's going to get out. I'd rather come out on my own terms.

Oh, and several of my coworkers have been outspoken about their opposition of transition, saying it's an act of willingly defying God. So, there will definitely be friction. I don't really care what people call me in the end. It can't be worse than this constant state of paranoia.

Does anyone have any advice here? Like how to let it be known without shouting it to the world?