1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you prefer having been born your gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by i am just me, Jan 18, 2017.

1. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in a very masculine state of my gender at the moment and feel extremly uncomfortable with my body. Whenever this happens, I wonder if I would exchange my life for the one me born with a male body would be leading. Or even for the life me as a cis person of my assigned gender would have.

On the one hand I would have felt much more comfortable during puberty. I would also be more comfortable in phases like the one I am in at the moment. Life would just be easier.

But: My personality was shaped by my fight against gender norms. I would have made very different experiences if I were born as a cis boy or a cis girl. As I am quite proud of my personal development in the last few years, I don't know if I would like to exchange it for having no dysphoria.

Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic. I am not binary trans, so I can only imagine what it must be like to feel trapped in the wrong body all the time. If having a body your comfortable in would mean giving up parts of your character, would you do it?

---------- Post added 18th Jan 2017 at 10:35 PM ----------

Sorry, I accidently posted this twice. Just ignore this one.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If everything about my life would be the same as it is now, then yes. I'd really love it if everything else could just match up.

3. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Like you and daydreamer said, if everything else were the same for me, I would do it in a heartbeat. However, if things would change massively in my life, I don't think I would. My dysphoria is pretty terrible all the time so I'm not fully sure why I would deny a male body at birth, but I think it would just change too many things in my life. I wouldn't have a huge community here and other places of people who support me this way, and I wouldn't have ever met a decent amount of my friends. They themselves are the ones who make my dysphoria bearable and who constantly make me feel amazing, so honestly, as nice as a male body would be, I wouldn't want to be living a 99% different life for it.

4. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I absolutely would. Especially if I'd have the same life I do now, just as female.

5. Natasha Elyssa

Yep, I definitely would. If I was a cis girl, and I was completely comfortable with myself, I would. I always feel trapped in my body and a past life that just isn't true anymore, and if giving up some parts of my character (which would help delete my past) would mean I'm comfortable in my own body (and maybe a step closer to happiness, then I would do it without a doubt. I'm a person who has been programmed and influenced to be the way I am through harsh abuse and psychological torture. I'm conditioned this way, that no one ever really sees, and it hurts me. My character is a good, honest, empathetic, and quite one, however my character is very spiteful, frustrated, angry, harsh, rude, cold, logical to the point of offense (saying real things that aren't right in the moment), and very damaged. If giving up the dark side of my character would mean that I am closer to reaching happiness, contentment, and comfort I would not hesitate. I hate my body, and a large part of my character, and being able to feel closer to my dreams and desires is more valuable to me than my many dark characteristics. I've suffered long enough to do just about anything to get where I want to go. Plus, I wouldn't have to go through surgeries and expensive procedures and stuff, I'd be able to just walk about with natural body parts. It would certainly be more cost effective. I would also be able to lactate, and most importantly, get pregnant. Having my own children and nursing them is my greatest dream. I'd easily sacrifice all my character just to have the chance to reproduce and nurse my own children. I'd trade anything for a new chance at life, my life sucks. Perhaps my life would be better if I was a Cis girl but I have no way of knowing. All I know is that I long for the day when I can look in the mirror and not feel like crap. And as mush as being treated like crap has shaped me into who I am today, I would give anything in hopes of a better life. I really wish I was born female, there's no way of knowing what would've happened had I been born a cis girl, so I don't know if it would've been better or worse. Either way, I'd take being a cis girl over my demented character. <3

6. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Of course I would. Nothing would change other than my body.

7. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I struggle with this question. Being trans has really shaped the person I am today. Plus, I was already born with feautures that I believe look attractive on me as a man anyway and I'm relatively tall and stuff. But I would have preferred to have the proper "plumbing" at least...idk.

#7 Rickystarr, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  8. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would definitely prefer to be cis.

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    honestly? I don't know. while I would love to be female bodied, I wouldn't have my son and he wouldn't be the person who he's growing into being. so hmmmm.....

10. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When this question is asked my gut instinct is to say no.

I always struggle to answer such questions because I constantly fear that by saying no i am somehow not trans, or someone will accuse me of not being trans.

Here is the thing, though, a large part of who I am now is shaped by me being trans. Going back to school, moving, working hard to become a better person than I am today...all of this came about once I realized I was trans.
    So when I think "What if I had just been born male in the first place?" I know that. would never work well for me.
    I know the standard answer should be "Well if everything about my life stayed the same.." But the thing is nothing in my life would of been the same if I had been born male. Who I am now would never of been if I had been more male. Instead of being a depressed "female" growing up in the South I would of been a gay male, and that would of caused it's own set of problems. It would of shaped me differently thank discover and aceppting I am trans

Perhaps i look to much into the question but that is all I ever think about when it is asked.

There are many things about my personality that I need to work on, but I am not ashamed of who I am now. I do not hate being transgender or the struggles it bring. If Incas born into any other body than the one I have now then I would not be me, and I would hate that.

11. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like I would have probably been an asshole to women if I was born male. But perhaps I could have learned that lesson in an easier way lol.

12. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's a tough question. For me to be born my gender I'd have to be a shapeshifter. It is very, very tempting to say that I would want to be born male as then it would match my birth sex. It is also very tempting to say I would want to be born female because then it would match how I feel in my head on many occasions and I wouldn’t have the regret that I hadn't grown up as female. Yet at the same time, I would be a different person if I wasn't genderfluid. In some respects life would be easier (dysphoria and worring if I’m binary trans isn’t fun) but I think in other respects there is a sense in which being genderfluid affords me a sense of freedom: as much as it hurts that there isn't a societal box which fits me exactly in order to be accepted, it means I can create my own box and I don't have to subscribe to gender roles as fiercely. It also means I am able to have a wider point of view because I know what it means to be female as well as male.

I do have to recognise that being genderfluid has contributed to making me the person I am today and I’m not entirely sure that is a bad thing. In the end, I think I would be happiest being my genderfluid self but I would want to have been perceived as valid as a girl and a boy and as a mix of the two when I was growing up, because as much as I go through periods where I fear I am binary trans, I know that isn’t who I am.

13. RubrumLovy

I'm not sure. I'm bigender who identifies with the earthworm. If I'd been born with those parts, then I'd essentially be a hermaphrodite... which poses its own problems both biological and mentally(?)(the bullying and being different side). I also think my experiences have built me as a person to the point of even being able to figure out I wasn't binary (Didn't even know someone could be bigender until recently and it made all the repressed thoughts ~thought I was actually crazy for a while~ and puzzle pieces fall into place). Since I've only just come out to myself, I don't have a clear idea of what I want yet... so maybe my answer will change in the future? :slight_smile:

14. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Definitely yes, but that's only if everything else is the same. It would save me so much effort in transitioning. I would still be involved in the LGBT community, as I am lesbian, but I guess I just won't know how hard it is to be transgender. My transition just started, and I already have gained so much experience that I wish I could still have if I were cisgender.

15. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's not an easy question to answer for me. Or it wasn't. Maybe.

I know that prior to a year ago I would have said "no". I would've said no because I generally like my body and it means I can 'hide' my sexuality from my family.

Thing is I don't know how well I'm actually 'hiding my sexuality' and my views on the community are very clear and well known in my family, so I don't know that I'm actually avoiding any drama by being viewed as a 'straight tomboy'. Based on that change, and the way being viewed by my friends as a gay gq guy has changed me, I think now I would have a very hard time saying no, I think I'd say yes in fact.

I don't know that I'd lose a lot of my experiences from growing up. I'd still have struggles with my gender because I'm non-binary and my parents probably wouldn't have treated me differently (race track with dad, fashion with mom). My interactions with society would be different. I'd like my body better. But I would have to come out. and I'm maybe okay with that and oooh that's scary...

16. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's part of what I worry about.

Overall, though, this is a tough question. If I was not LGBT, I would probably have never considered this community in a positive light. Often one dislikes what they don't understand, and you can only truly understand something if you've experienced it yourself. Likely I'd have zero compassion for gay and trans folk. Likely I'd be an arrogant prick. Then again, I might have male friends and garner the love and appreciation of my parents for being a child unsullied by the "perversions of the world."

If I were not trans, I would be a very different person. This has definitely molded my character to be, I believe, more empathetic and perseverant. Of course I would want my body to be right, and I would be hard-pressed to say no if this were an actual possibility. But I think I could only say yes if I kept my memories upon rebirth as a cisgender boy.

17. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This^