1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questioning, confused Genderfluid and large guy.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by NerdKateCat, Jan 22, 2017.

1. NerdKateCat

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Just to get this out of the way, I know tall girls exist, and I have also seen multiple posts of transgirls who're tall talk about how, at most, they get noticed for height and never really get outed by it. So, yes, I'm aware.

So I've been questioning, or at least into the idea of being a girl to some extent for years now, about since I was 16 (now 21), but I never took it any sort of seriously. I just thought I was into gender transformation or something in like bad anime and stuff. But in 2016 I was finally out of school and had more than enough time to actually think about myself, more than I'm comfortable with to be honest. But I came to the realization that there's a good chance I'm genderfluid.

Well after enough time I met two friends (one being a transguy) and eventually got the courage to tell them. They're both fairly accepting, moreso that I felt like I deserved, and of course I came out both as genderfluid and also mentioned I was probably bi/pan (I still don't know for sure).

That, was about one month ago now. I've still barely talked about gender stuff face to face with them cause I'm still too awkward, they've offered multiple times to use different pronouns, but I also feel like, with how I express myself irl, I don't warrant other pronouns. But aside from my self consciousness, all great, or, supposed to be great.

My dysphoria never bothered me in life before, I never took my own gender questioning seriously, I was just a weird guy with an occasional female persona online just because. But having two people, in the real world, that know even a little about me and my internal gender conflict, has made that a lot more... real? Harder to avoid and pretend was never there maybe? Probably doesn't help that they introduced me to tumblr.
    Dysphoria, in the past month and a half or so, has pretty much skyrocketed for me, I still very much look like a guy, and some days I'm okay with that, but slowly things have been internally changing in ways the make me uncomfortable, a need to lose weight (probably a good thing, I'm 260lbs), and other things like not being able to bring myself to buy stuff like cologne.

Along with my occasional vents to my friends to try to relieve my anxiety, seeing really really cute transgirls who're super happy and basically bring me to tears to see them on tumblr (both out of happiness for them, hope that I really never wanted, and just confusion of if I ever want that), as well as these minor changes I have internally going on, well. Yeah. I hope it's kind of understandable why HRT at least to some extent, and transitioning, has been in my mind.

But... I don't know if I should, or if its worth it. I don't know if I'd be passable, and I know that shouldn't be important, but it is to me. I'm 6ft1, have decently broad shoulders (I think about 21"), size 13 (US) feet, hands to match, and god oh god why do I keep my beard, but I have that too yeah. The only possibly good thing of any of this is that I don't have like some extremely masculine face (minus beard), but that's it. I feel like I could live without transitioning, I've never had a self harm thought in my life and still don't so I don't think my dysphoria would ever induce anything horrible aside from anxiety and sadness, and being genderfluid (I think, this past month I've basically been hating myself the entire time though), I also potentially will have days where none of that bothers me at all.

My friend told me that, what partly helped him was knowing he'd have his whole life to figure the gender and sexuality stuff out, and.. that is great. For some. Every passing day for me is shitty questioning, confusion, wishing I'd lose weight faster, being impatient, and so on.

I'm just confused, as the title here says. I couldn't buy cologne again so I went to a store to buy relatively gender neutral smelling perfume, which using still makes me think everyone's gonna notice (they probably don't). Odd thing about that day I bought that is that, since I can't lie to save my own life, I admitted to the girl I was buying for myself, and she was totally okay with it, which made me worry she thought I was gay or something, but for some reason it was like, "Oh, she just thinks I'm gay, that's okay". Which, is a dumb reaction in my brain that somehow comforted me.
    Of course after leaving the store I both realize "wait... I am gay" and "WHY IS THAT ANY BETTER THAN BEING TRANS?!". I realized that night that I still very much don't consider myself part of the LGBTQ+ crowd, not because I dislike the idea, just more, people who're part of that and proud are amazing people to me. They're "the cool kids" in my eyes, confident and/or brave enough to say "f*** you" to society so they can be themselves. And really, to anyone reading this that's out in any fashion, you people are still amazing to me. I can barely accept myself let alone admit who I am to the rest of the world.
    I'm also not even sure if I am genderfluid like I thought I was or just trans, I think I still am genderfluid, but maybe.. with a female base? Like if male-female was a 1-10 scale, I'd be hovering around 6~7 and fluctuating every now and then. (I over complicate things)

This is a long long long vent-ranty post, about like.. 20 different things, I know. And I'm sorry to anyone who I might have offended, I'm not trying to offend anyone in this post, all of these feelings of passing and other things are strictly towards myself.

I don't know what kind of advice I'm looking for here, there's a lot of questions and things I probably should seek help with going on in my mind. Should I see a support group? Should I see a therapist? Should I transition, or even partly transition (I know that's also a thing). I'm not even out, I'm more out to my friends than I am with myself, if that makes any sense.
    Anyways. Thanks for reading, if anyone did.

2. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. (*hug*)

Definitely see a support group and therapist. You'll need them, even if you don't end up transitioning, and meeting people like yourself can be very relieving.

Yes, I experienced that, too. My fluidity was maddening because sometimes I'd have no fluctuations and I'd think I'd made the whole thing up, and then I'd shift several times within a day. My gender graphs have violent spikes all over the place for the first two months of data recording. It got exhausting and after a while I just wanted it all to stop. This is why you need someone to talk to to. It can ease the pressure a bit to be able to hash out some of the questions you have even and guide your thinking when you're feeling lost. :slight_smile: Sorry if this isn't coherent - it's late at night here.

3. onlyhuman33

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey NerdKateCat,

Welcome to the world of most everyone on here. (can't find my emojis, so imagine hugging emoji here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

Maybe seeing a therapist, who can help you sort through all of these feelings, is a good starting point for you. I think, in the trans world, most people have fears, and ideas that make you question the validity of your feelings. There are some advice site's that begin, "If you are questioning whether you are trans or not, you probably are." I believe they make that "blanketed" statement in regards that MOST cis gender, complacent people don't question their gender identity. For most, they can go through their entire lives without giving it a second thought. This is not meant to suggest that you are definitively trans. But it does kinda go without saying that, maybe there is something to look into deeper. Inevitably, only you will be able to determine if you are trans, cis, fluid, or maybe would be happier to be androgynous. Remember, everyone has good days and bad days. Transitioning isn't going to make you the happiest person on earth 100% of the time. However, it may be a HUGE step in the right direction.

Oh, also, about passing. When I first started my transition, I was so nervous about passing. Then I realized the most important thing I can wear to help me pass is confidence. I wasn't confident right out of the box. I was constantly asking my wife and daughter if I looked male or female before we left the house. In the beginning, I did get misgendered a couple of times. But I honestly believe it was because I didn't really put forth much effort. I presented as androgynous, and people made their sub-conscience split-second determination as to how they would perceive me and would interact accordingly. I never got upset with them. I would get upset with myself. But then I realized, if I were to present more definitively female, then people wouldn't be as "confused". They would just think, "Oh, that's a chick." The more that happens the more confident you appear. The more nervous you are, the more people can sense it and will start to question "why is this person so nervous?" In turn, you may inadvertently clock yourself. Does that make any sense?

Anyways, good luck in everything you decide. I really hope you find the answers you seek and achieve the happiness you deserve. Be well!!