1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name change form asks for reason

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Rickystarr, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Has anyone changed their name legally? The form asks why you are changing your name. Should I mention that I'm trans? I feel like I shouldn't have to, but it seems obvious given my current legal name and new name and all of that. Do you think it is a bad idea to do so? If so, what should I say? Just something non committal like I like that name better? What did you say?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno, but if you are also changing gender marker it would make sense to say so.

I think though depending on your state/province you have to also put your name change in the paper to let people publicly know who you are.

3. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have yet to change mine... and a lot of other things, but what I do know is that most courts are very reluctant to police name changes on the grounds of their being "inappropriate for your sex." This opens up a huge area of law they'd rather not get into. Because of this, you are within your rights to choose any name. If the judge rejects your application, you are also within your rights to ask the reason. If you are rejected and have the judge on record saying he felt the name was not appropriate, you can probably get your case re-heard or appealed. Most higher courts would overturn a name change request denial on the grounds of inappropriate for your gender.
    So I'd say don't, since it actually might bring up more of an issue than just being a female wanting a male name. The government seems a bit more lenient to females wanting male names opposed to males wanting female names though, so I say the favors are in your hands.

4. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Typically they just want to know that changing your name is not because you did something bad and are trying to avoid repercussions. All you have to say is you want to change your name to better reflect the person you are. Specific, yet vague.