1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by pentacat, Jan 24, 2017.

1. pentacat

Before I start this, I want to preface by saying I apologize if I use any terms that aren't kind or appropriate.. I'm struggling to figure out how to express myself. Please do let me know if I need to correct my vocabulary.

So, I'm 26 years old and I've played with my gender since I was a teenager. The past 7 years or so I've been increasingly more femme, so to speak, and I feel very comfortable with this. I'm kind of exaggerated in my femininity, and it's a fun and artistic way for me to express my self. I'm also autistic, and as odd as it may sound I do feel that there's a component of that tied to my relationship to my gender.
    However, I don't identify as a "woman", sometimes I refer to myself as one but it's not the most comfortable for me. I pass a cisgendered woman, and I know that there's privilege to how I move through the world. I thought maybe it was some sort of disillusionment with the word "woman", but the more feminist work and poetry I read I don't think that's the case.
    I feel like.. I'm AFAB, I'm okay with that. My anatomy doesn't bother me. But I feel so confused because every genderqueer/non conforming AFAB I see/meet is not femme. They're masculine in how the present, which is great but that's all I've seen. It's almost like there's this limitation on playing with gender, like "cross-dressing" is the only way to express being gender queer.
    I know this is all rambling, it's just been eating at me lately. Can you be a AFAB genderqueer femme? Is that a thing?

tl,dr: I don't feel like a woman. But I'm comfortable being feminine. All the AFAB genderqueer people I've seen dress like "boys", and it puzzles me. Can we be genderqueer and still dress like a "girl"?

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

2. Hats

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see why not. After all, you don't have to be butch to be a lesbian.

3. Irisviel

What exactly makes you not feel comfortable with being a woman, considering you act like one and are comfortable with being one physically, and you don't write about any problem with interacting with others as a woman?