1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My name

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Quniverse, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Quniverse

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I've recently come to the realization that I'm genderfluid (but I like "non-binary" better). I don't intend to legally change my name because that's expensive and requires a level of outness that I have not yet achieved.

My question is, is it okay for my new name to have absolutely nothing to do with my "real name"? I want everyone to call me Q but nowhere in my name is there the letter Q. Is that okay? On forms and stuff I'll still put my legal name, but is it weird if I, upon meeting people, say "Hi! My name's ***. Call me Q."?

2. Amal

I can only speak for myself here, but often people have names that are different from their birth-names. I myself chose the name I have. I had problems with my birth-name. At first it felt awkward, but now I am completely used to it, and the people who know me don't think it's strange at all.
    So I wish you good luck with your new name :slight_smile:

3. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went from olivia to Seth; the names don't even share any letters at all. If Q feels best for you then Q is perfectly fine!

4. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can tell people to call you whatever you want.