1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hormone Therapy for Non-binary people?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Dovahzul, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Dovahzul

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm just wondering if there's any way hormone therapy can contribute to a androgynous appearance? I've done a bit of research, and some places say that low doses of estrogen are effective, while others say that hormone therapy is exclusively for ftms and mtfs.
    Does anyone here have a good answer?
    I'm AMAB if that helps.

2. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends on where you live. In my country HRT is only for ftms and mtfs, moreover gender therapists here don't even officially acknowledge it's possible to be something else than male or female. Could be different in Sweden considering you have "hen" gender, Idk.

3. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the US there are two routes - WPATH and ICATH.

WPATH is essentially a "guided tour." To get HRT you have to have counseling, a recommendation from the counselor to get HRT, then wait a certain time before you can get surgery. They also want you to live for a certain amount of time as that gender, but it's not as strict as it used to be.

ICATH is independent - no professional counseling required, no waiting times, you call all the shots, but it's harder to find ICATH providers. You simply sign a waiver stating that you have been informed of the risks of what it is you want to do, they do the necessary medical tests (blood panels, etc) to get the dosages right, etc. No notes. No diagnosis except what you tell them. Just your word.

I'm non-binary in the US, and I'm working with an ICATH clinic that works with a lot of non-binaries. They have told me they can take me all the way to male, an androgynous appearance, or somewhere between. Yes, it can be done for both males and females, and yes it is available if you have a willing doctor. It is a five month wait for an appointment at the clinic I'm working with, but they have both endocrinologists in the clinic, and surgeons with whom they network.

4. Dovahzul

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hen is sadly not a legal third gender. :***:
    Just a gender neutral pronoun.

Anyway, thanks for the help so far. I'm gonna search for more info and wait for more answers.
    Thanks again.