1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you describe yourself?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Krishebble, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Krishebble

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw a therapist for the first time yesterday, and I attempted to describe what it felt like to be Genderfluid. She seemed to understand, but she kept saying things like, "so you feel like a woman sometimes, and some times you feel different." Well, no, I don't feel that way. I AM. Some days I am a woman, some days I am a Demi woman. Some days I am agender. How do you explain the difference between feeling and being?

2. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It can be hard to describe concepts that are more conceptual or vague. I have trouble with similar topics and describing it to regular people. So being genderfluid or transgender in any form must be pretty difficult because it is describing something that you can't physically show someone or see visibly.

I think a good way to compare it is to look at the words feeling and being. When you feel something it is usually somewhat short and it is about emotion. When I searched the word being on Google, one definition was the essence of someone. To me, being bigender is not a feeling so much as a core part of my being some days. It changes how you act and think without you realizing it sometimes. It is not necessarily about emotions or how you "feel", although most people say they "feel" male or female or another gender. It is an internal sense of self that you know you are not the gender of the sex assigned at birth, or that you are.

Another idea is to draw a picture or to maybe bring one of the gender spectrum diagrams, which you can find online or draw, with you to help explain it maybe.

3. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I know what you mean. When I walk into a very male type place, like a tool store or auto store, or a gym, I become male. Alpha, testosterone poisoning male. I forget I have a female body attached. But I figure since my body doesn't actually change, only my mind's perception, I am feeling male, not being male. But yeah, "feeling" simply isn't a strong enough word.

I think what you're looking for is explaining the difference between totally perceiving yourself as male, versus a more amorphous "I feel like I'm X sometimes."

Perhaps you can explain by saying "Some days I entirely perceive myself as a woman, some days as a demi-woman, and some days I don't perceive that I am any gender at all."

However, since it's technically "all in your mind" (it has to be unless your body actually morphs) the best term the therapist can use is "feel."

4. Jeanne Marie

I have noticed that while my gender may switch back and forth between male and female, my sexuality stays pretty regular. No matter if I am a man or a woman at the time being I am attracted to women only, so when I'm male I'm straight but when I'm female I'm a lesbian/homosexual.

For me, my gender identity first really made sense after a good amount of meditation and eventual recognition of the changes happening internally, despite there being no physical change happening externally save a slight difference in posture and mannerism.