1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HRT, the big questions(to ask the doc)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BrookeVL, Feb 3, 2017.

1. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay so I've been compiling a list of questions for my doctor on Wednesday. Mostly just stuff about what I can expect to happen, as well as dosage and methods of administration.

1) Will my hairline recover just from hrt?
    2) If not, is there any way I can achieve this without a hair transplant or surgery?
    3) Is there anything that might help breast development, or is it just wait and see if you need implants in two years?
    4) Am I going to have any weird food cravings? I’ve heard this can happen.
    5) Is it safe to be on hormone blockers long term. If I decide not to have SRS?
    6) Is there a hormone blocker that won’t make me pee a lot, like spiro does? Because I already pee a lot.
    7) Is drinking in moderation safe on HRT?
    8) Are there any foods I should avoid?
    9) When I lose muscle(I’m okay with this) will it turn into fat, or does it just kind of disappear?
    10) Will I slim down, or will I actually gain “weight?”
    11) I’ve heard that estrogen patches may be safer than pills. Is this true?
    12) Are the Patches worth the extra cost, or are pills preferred if able to be prescribed ? Do they achieve similar results?

That's what I got so far. Any other ideas? Are there any other questions I should maybe ask that you girls (and guys) suggest?

#1 BrookeVL, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you seem to have a good mix there.

one thing about the patches, at your age you should be fine with pills unless you have a family history of clots or some other medical reason. that's my understanding from chatting with my doc.

3. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I figure I mostly have all my bases covered. lol

Also for the record, I've literally never taken a doctor visit this seriously, ever. I think that speaks volumes about how much this means to me.

I assume pills are probably the way to go, though I get the feeling patches MAY be easier for me, as I don't have to take them every day like a pill...

4. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    On 6, if a doctor told me to take a lower dose then I would just say "I'd rather wear a diaper and be a girl, than be fully continent and be a guy." But I probably wouldn't be able to actually say it on the spot.

5. Lazuri

I can tell you straight away that patches are safer than pills. Here in Sweden, they give you the option of pills, patches, gels or injections and they recommend using pills as the last option, even though injections require you to go to a clinic every three weeks.

I went with the gel because I'm not so into the idea of always having a patch on me.

As for your hairline, it is likely to recover slightly, but if you had a lot of recline before starting hormones, there's not much it can do.

6. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm strongly considering asking about patches. It does seem safer, and I'd rather slap a patch on and call it a day. Or week. lol

My hairline:
    [​IMG]

How I normally hide it:
    [​IMG]

If you look closely there's quite a few "baby hairs in there, so I guess they aren't totally dead. And my hair has been like that about 8 years. I don't mind sticking with the bangs look, though.

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2017 at 11:48 PM ----------

That's true.

7. Lazuri

It definitely could be worse. I personally think it'll recover a bit, but there might be some of the M shaped hairline left. There's plenty of great looking hairstyles that distract from it, though

8. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm confident it will. Like I said there's baby hairs there so it's not completely dead. And yes, lots of hairstyles hide it. :slight_smile: