1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shoe shopping

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by nightowl88, Feb 4, 2017.

1. nightowl88

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today I got some new sneakers because my other ones were falling apart. I had decided on a pair of red converses. My feet have grown out of my shoes which were an 8 in men's so I got a 9 that fit fine. Here's the problem being unisex shoes the checkout person checked the men's and women's sizes on the box when we were checking out to which my stepmom got all mad because she doesn't believe my feet are bigger than hers. She made a big deal out of how big the shoes were and made me go and remeasure my feet which put me about 8.5 or 9 in men's she then started going on about how this is men's sizing and I should be measuring my feet in women's sizes even though I haven't worn women's shoes in several years. I ended up getting mad and getting the other pair I wanted if grey vans that didn't have women's size in them so I got a size 9 and she has no idea they were the same size. My whole problem with this was she would not stop talking about how I should be measured in women's sizes and saying she and her over and over. I'm out fully but my family doesn't use my male name very often which is a bit upsetting but I'm giving them time to adjust. Before all this she also repeatedly called me over to the women's section and was pointing out these very girly shoes I wouldn't have worn at any point in the last like 5 years. I just never thought getting new sneakers would be so problematic especially since she has never paid any attention to what size shoe I've worn since I was 10.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure why she's making a big deal out of your shoe size or anything petty like that :/

3. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That sucks man. :frowning2: I'm sorry.

Maybe you should try writing her a letter letting her know how that felt. Adjustment time is good and all, but you should let your parents know if and how their actions are upsetting you.