Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > Support Area > Gender Identity and Expression

Gender Identity and Expression A forum for support and advice about figuring out and expressing your gender identity. If you have concerns about coming out, please use the Coming Out Advice forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17th Feb 2017, 05:35 AM   #61
The Mad Queen

Orientation: Probably lesbian but possibly pansexual
Out Status: The closet is finally empty.

Re: The MTF Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clustergazelle View Post
Any makeup wearers have tips on putting together a first kit? What is essential vs what I probably don't need to keep around?
Okey. You will need some kind of foundation. Powder or liquid. Make sure it's good for the skin and adresses your personal needs in that regard because you wear it long. Like sun protection, acne / sebum production, dry skin, allergies, covering reds, etc. I think you girls need to look for some tips on how to cover up the facial hair, which I don't know. There is a choice of correctors too, if you have dark shades under your eyes or bad spots.

Second, mascara and some natural shaded lipstick. You can go transparent, or some pink, or lip gloss. Of course you can go bolder if you want to, but those require more care in both wearing and application. Of course remember about proper moistruisation first, especially in the winter.

Mascara... I think there is no philosophy to it. They sell it in black and brown (and in some blue and violet but people don't normally wear it), and in waterproof or not, and also have some other features like how much volume they add or if they cause allergy... Watch out the waterproof if your skin is oily like mine because it will dissolve in the sebum and will be all over around the lashes and will make you look tired.

I think also eyeliners are also quite basic. Keep in the same shade as the mascara. The choice of fluid vs stick, and the colour, is up to what you like, and down to the individual products and how they work for you.

Shall I add something else? I think as for the beginning, that's enough.

And remember about makeup removal. Both waterproof and not waterproof removal liquids. It's important so that your skin doesn't get tired (and ugly).
Let me add that if you don't buy make-up from a brand that's cruelty free, I will find you and I will punch you.

"I'm not broken.... I will become Alice."
#plasticforever
Lazuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2017, 07:45 AM   #62
EC Addict

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: Some people

Nah, I'm not vegan. Yet
Old 17th Feb 2017, 08:45 AM   #63
Princess Brooke of Rivendell.
Threadstarter

Orientation: Bisexual-ish Lesbian
Out Status: A few friends

Quote:
Quote:
Any makeup wearers have tips on putting together a first kit? What is essential vs what I probably don't need to keep around?
Okey. You will need some kind of foundation. Powder or liquid. Make sure it's good for the skin and adresses your personal needs in that regard because you wear it long. Like sun protection, acne / sebum production, dry skin, allergies, covering reds, etc. I think you girls need to look for some tips on how to cover up the facial hair, which I don't know. There is a choice of correctors too, if you have dark shades under your eyes or bad spots.

Second, mascara and some natural shaded lipstick. You can go transparent, or some pink, or lip gloss. Of course you can go bolder if you want to, but those require more care in both wearing and application. Of course remember about proper moistruisation first, especially in the winter.

Mascara... I think there is no philosophy to it. They sell it in black and brown (and in some blue and violet but people don't normally wear it), and in waterproof or not, and also have some other features like how much volume they add or if they cause allergy... Watch out the waterproof if your skin is oily like mine because it will dissolve in the sebum and will be all over around the lashes and will make you look tired.

I think also eyeliners are also quite basic. Keep in the same shade as the mascara. The choice of fluid vs stick, and the colour, is up to what you like, and down to the individual products and how they work for you.

And remember about makeup removal. Both waterproof and not waterproof removal liquids. It's important so that your skin doesn't get tired (and ugly).
Oooo perfect!!!!! I shall save this in a word file for future use!

Brooke Victoria Lexa
She/Her
clustergazelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2017, 09:13 AM   #64
Hi, I'm Sarah

Orientation: Queer
Out Status: it's now FB official, but trans certain friends

Quote:
Quote:

for those of us who have to go back to boy mode, how hard is mascara to get off your lashes?
looking for me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2017, 09:27 AM   #65
EC Addict

Out Status: Family & close friends

Depends on the brand, but it goes off easily. If you're paranoid, there are special products to get rid of eye makeup.

Also I need to warn you: Makeup is horrible for your skin. Also speaking for most guys I know: Don't turn yourself into dolls. Natural is hotter. Even though for pre-HRT girls countouring would do a lot of good stuff I suppose.
anthracite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2017, 09:44 AM   #66
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracite View Post
Depends on the brand, but it goes off easily. If you're paranoid, there are special products to get rid of eye makeup.

Also I need to warn you: Makeup is horrible for your skin. Also speaking for most guys I know: Don't turn yourself into dolls. Natural is hotter. Even though for pre-HRT girls countouring would do a lot of good stuff I suppose.
Natural is DEFINITELY hotter! I'm going to go for that mostly, once HRT makes me actually look the parst without contouring...

Brooke Victoria Lexa
She/Her
Old 17th Feb 2017, 09:57 AM   #67
Hi, I'm Sarah

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracite View Post

Natural is DEFINITELY hotter! I'm going to go for that mostly, once HRT makes me actually look the parst without contouring...
when you need to cover a dark beard though.... not that I use a lot but hey, a girl needs some help sometimes.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 10:19 AM   #68
Supreme Commander of the Gnerd Army

Orientation: People
Out Status: Friends and Family - Stealth otherwise

Give me a few minutes til my free period and I'll teach you young ladies.

"No one should have to live in darkness" - My two best friends
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2017, 10:23 AM   #69
Saiyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
The pro has spoken lol. Also, I agree with natural = hotter. Too much make - up is a big turn off to me. I find when a lady looks more natural, she's more beautiful.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 11:00 AM   #70

Ok.

So foundation.

1. Shave with warm water and a cleaned face for closest shave.
2. Apply moisturizer. I find a cheap organic one to use is simple coconut oil. It makes your skin dewy and plump too.
3. Apply concealer if you have especially dark hair. Not necessary for some. Concealer is incredibly thick and opaque. Make sure to use an appropriate tone to match your skin. Too dark or light it will make your final appearance blotchy.
4. Foundation can be liquid to start and then apply powder after wards. Both if you require heavy coverage or want a porcelain look. Using the proper brush for the type of foundation will make the best results.

I have a liquid that is a "semi dry" one that requires a certain brush to not clump. Go speak to a beautician to see what works for you.
5. Blush depends on your skin tone. I find cherry colors work best on me. Bronzer, orange or pinks look fake on me unless I'm going for that look. I prefer tightly compacted fine powder blush. Eminence organics and NARS make nice ones. Again brush application changes depth of color and coating.

I like to put a little bit of foundation over to blend the color and make it look subcutaneous rather than layered on.

6. Eyeshadow entirely depends on your outfit in my opinion and your goal. Subtle smokey and pinks and lavender for everyday. Bold colors for a night on the town. Powders that are clumpy tend to fall off the brush and can fuck your makeup off so I dislike them. Use a piece of tissue paper under your eye to catch and cast-off and keep your makeup clean.

Eyeliner works the same way. Match it to your outfit and eye color. I personally like neutral earth tones but have been known to use blue and golds. You can do part eyelid to full eyelid coverage or 3/4th cat eyes. I HATE dry eyeliners. But overly creamy can smudge easier. All depends on preference.

7. Lipstick again depends on skin tone and what you are going for. Dark reds look great on black hair and blondes with appropriate dresses in my opinion. Pinks look better on neutral toned hair like brown and red. But again skin type and clothing choices are the biggest effects in choices.

You can get glossy, matte or lip pencils or balms. All have benefits and drawbacks. Some cover better, some stay better, some make lips plumper.

It would take a whole thread to go into these each in detail. But I'm glad to give advice.

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2017 at 01:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceVegeta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
The pro has spoken lol. Also, I agree with natural = hotter. Too much make - up is a big turn off to me. I find when a lady looks more natural, she's more beautiful.
Which is why I go the natural approach. Unless I'm going clubbing and want to be seen and stand out. But sadly many of us trans women need a lot of work to makeup for what we lack due to xy chromosomes.

Old 17th Feb 2017, 11:37 AM   #71
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking for me View Post
Quote:

when you need to cover a dark beard though.... not that I use a lot but hey, a girl needs some help sometimes.
Luckily my beard is not that dark, and I'm holding off on going full time until it's at least thinned enough that the maintenance won't be a full time job....

Brooke Victoria Lexa
She/Her
Old 17th Feb 2017, 11:49 AM   #72
EC Addict

Getting mascara off... very easy, provided you have the removal liquid. (use cotton pads to apply it) Waterproof makeup removal liquid if needed. But eyeliner is harder to remove, it can stay between the hairs in the lashes. Still, most people might not notice, I don't know.

Paranoid? No. Makeup simply doesn't go off without those removal products, frequently, it's designed to be resilient. Why wash your face three times with soap when you can use the makeup removal thing once and easily?

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2017 at 10:51 AM ----------

I've seen somewhere something about orange powder to cover facial hair? I might be confusing something, though, because I didn't pay much attention.

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2017 at 10:57 AM ----------

Ha ha, I'm curious how many trans guys went through all that... presenting feminine thing.

Last edited by emerry; 17th Feb 2017 at 12:00 PM..
emerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2017, 11:57 AM   #73
The Mad Queen

Orientation: Probably lesbian but possibly pansexual
Out Status: The closet is finally empty.

I'm way too theatrical to just go with natural makeup. Unless I don't look like a character from Tim Burton's Dark Shadows, I'm not doing it right.

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2017 at 07:58 PM ----------

Also, there are literally specific types of makeup for transgender people to cover the blue shadow you get from facial hair. I've seen them in several trans web stores.

"I'm not broken.... I will become Alice."
#plasticforever
Lazuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2017, 12:00 PM   #74
EC Addict

(please ignore)

Last edited by emerry; 17th Feb 2017 at 12:01 PM..
emerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Feb 2017, 02:41 PM   #75
King of Sass

Out Status: Out to everyone

I never once presented femininely, unless I was forced to for weddings where I was a bridesmaid (so others did it for me and even then I demanded the very minimum). So this is all very strange information I'm learning. :P
Old 17th Feb 2017, 09:01 PM   #76
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazuri View Post
I'm way too theatrical to just go with natural makeup. Unless I don't look like a character from Tim Burton's Dark Shadows, I'm not doing it right.

Also, there are literally specific types of makeup for transgender people to cover the blue shadow you get from facial hair. I've seen them in several trans web stores.
Totally looking into that.

Brooke Victoria Lexa
She/Her
Old 18th Feb 2017, 11:09 PM   #77
Hi, I'm Sarah

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazuri View Post

i went to sephora and got a colour corrector for the blue shadow from my beard. if you have light or red hair you will need a different colour i have the orange colour as this is the opposite on the colour wheel. what i did was asked for help and i told the consultant it was for me, she didnt bat an eye and led me to the proper rack and recommended what to get and how to apply, she even offered me a full make over, but i declined, as i was in full guy mode.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM   #78
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking for me View Post
Quote:

i went to sephora and got a colour corrector for the blue shadow from my beard. if you have light or red hair you will need a different colour i have the orange colour as this is the opposite on the colour wheel. what i did was asked for help and i told the consultant it was for me, she didnt bat an eye and led me to the proper rack and recommended what to get and how to apply, she even offered me a full make over, but i declined, as i was in full guy mode.
That is my plan at some point the good Sephora makeover. Seems like a place I'll be frequenting.

Brooke Victoria Lexa
She/Her
Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM   #79

Out Status: Some close friends

Any suggestions for us tall ladies? (Like, >6ft tall)
AbsoluteNerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteNerd View Post
Any suggestions for us tall ladies? (Like, >6ft tall)
Suggestions to what?