1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep questioning everything?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KenDarling, Feb 7, 2017.

1. KenDarling

So I realized that i was at least gender queer when i was 14, but then gradually came to the conclusion that i'm a transman, and ive known this for 3 years now, i've come out to a few friends, pretty much all of my wardrobe is mens clothes (but i look more ambiguous, don't want to pass right now since im in school) but every so often i get these intense doubts about my gender. i really don't think im a girl, but i am pretty feminine, i like painting my nails and i wear lipstick in my room (not out in public i wouldnt want people to see me as girly) and i rarely ever get dysphoria. I'm thinking maybe im just on the edge of being male? like close to androgynous but just barely crossing into male? also i've been attracted to just men all my life but again lately i've been questioning that too? i dont know, ive never had a crush on a woman either, i think maybe i'm just weirdly paranoid??Thanks to anyone who responds!
    :help:

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those are just gender roles, liking lipstick or nail polish doesn't change your gender.

#2 baconpox, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  3. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There is a phrase I heard last night in a gender documentary i was watching. Gender is who you go to bed AS, Sexual orientation is who you go to bed WITH. Also makeup and similar things are not inherently gendered, so you can be a boy and feel like a boy while still doing makeup or nail polish.

4. DoriaN

Gender identity does not equal gender expression.

Liking lipstick does not make you a boy or girl, a better indication would be how you view your body.

Medically speaking, until being transgender became a political movement, it was purely a medical one based on dysphoria. Dysphoria brings to attention the distress to be the gender that matches the body, because emotionally speaking there are many women who hate their body and men the same but for all intents and purposes they are who they are.

Most people wake up feeling fine with their physical body, regardless of their expression, but it's when the physical and social dysphoria come into play that there becomes a need to trans-ition.

5. KenDarling

Thanks for the replies c: i guess i know that wearing lipstick doesn't make you a girl, but i overthink these things sometimes :thumbsup:

6. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just look at rock stars...lots of makeup and nail polish there. And no one questions if they are guys. Besides, if you wear "gender neutral" shades like black or gray, no one will think twice. Now lipstick or eyeliner could get you in trouble (unless you want to goth. :lol:slight_smile: I knew a very feminine boy who would wear eyeliner/mascara and had long hair. Talk about trouble.

Anyway, my two cents on makeup.

Sebby