1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Some Help With Identity

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by coolkid1227, Feb 9, 2017.

1. coolkid1227

Hello folks!

DISCLAIMER: I'll try not to offend anyone or use the wrong terms, and I apologize in advance if I do :slight_smile:

I've lately been questioning my gender identity. I was born female, but it doesn't feel that way. I dislike being labeled as female, the use of female pronouns, or being called by my birth name (a very feminine one). I haven't thought of myself as female as of late, although there have been times when I've felt feminine. I don't think of myself as male, but I don't think agender is a term that fits me. I dress neutral, although I wear jewelry. Overall I feel comfortable with my body, and I'm not really sure if I experience gender dysphoria or not. There are sometimes I feel more masculine than feminine (and vise versa, same goes with agender), and try to alter my appearance to fit.
    I've looked into and read up on many different identities, but I haven't seen something that clicks instantly. I'm not sure if I just haven't been paying enough attention to determine, or if I'm just going through a phase.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thank you in advance for your help.
    Have a great day,
    Parker

#1 coolkid1227, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2017
  2. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Have you considered the possibility of you being genderfluid? The way that your feelings towards your gender fluctuates seems to correlate with genderfluidity.

3. Quniverse

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in a similar situation, but I am fortunate enough to feel pretty confident in the idea that I simply lack a gender. I do not, however, like the term "agender", so I identify as gender non-binary with the pronouns he/him.

Gender is this weird and super arbitrary social construct. It's okay not to know who or what you are. Unfortunately, you may never know. And you know what? That's okay! Labels are comforting to some people, like me, but they aren't always 100% correct. The best thing you can do right now is keep experimenting and learning about genders.

4. i am just me

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Parker :slight_smile:

my advice for you is to take your time. I was in a very similar place to you about 3 months ago. I was extremly confused because I didn't fit into one of the categories male or female. Besides, non of the no binary labels seemed totally accurate either. As Quniverse said, labels aren't the right thing for everyone. Try to observe how you feel without judging it. You are you and if you don't want to put a label onto your gender, that's perfectly fine.

About your worries that it is just a phase: How long have you been feeling this way? Because if it has been for more than a year or so, it's very likely that it is not. Don't let people who tell you otherwise get you down!

I hope that helped a little. If you have any other questions just ask :slight_smile:

Quinn

5. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

Don't feel pressure to choose a label. Your experience is valid with or without a label. If you feel like having a label would help, then I would look into the gender-fluid and gender-queer labels. Feel free to message me if you want. I wish you all the best.

6. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay so don't feel rushed to find a label. Your experience is valid despite any labels. To me it sounds like you could be bigender or something else. Bigender means going between two genders (ex male, female, and both). So just because you are questioning your gender, doesn't mean that you are not cisgender. But also if you have been feeling this way for a while, this is probably not a phase. Another term to look at could be Androgyne where you are both male and female at the same time.