1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried about endoscopy.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Natasha Elyssa, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Natasha Elyssa

Tuesday I have to go for an endoscopy and I'm kinda panicking about it. I'm going to be drugged, but the doctor didn't say how much or if I was going to be asleep or awake for it. I'm very worried about the procedure, I have a very strong gag reflex and I am honestly nervous about any medical procedures or doctor visits. I'm also terrified of needles and I read somewhere that they'll use a needle to sedate me. On top of the typical fears and whatnot, I'm also scared of what's going to happen after. I'm going to be drugged and I don't know what's going to happen when the procedures over, I don't know if they'll have me stay in a room for a while or if they'll send me home right away. Of course my dad will be with me, but I don't know if that's such a good thing. The office is only a block away from my house and it's not a hard walk, however I don't know if I can do it while I'm coming off of the drugs. I also read somewhere that the sedatives can make you very loopy (which I'm used to), can cloud your judgment (that's kind of expected), and it can make you say and do things you wouldn't or shouldn't do. That worries me because what if I tell my dad something about being Trans or transition or something while I'm high as a kite? That's what's really starting to worry me. What's going to happen when I go home and I'm coming off the drugs? Is it possible that I could let something slip that I shouldn't? Can I say some weird things that would make my parents go crazy? What's going to happen? What am I going to do? If I let something slip, it would literally be the end of existence for me. I'm so hopeless.

2. EmmaReed

Hey! Don't worry! :slight_smile: Endoscopy is really an unpleasent examination but with sedatives it's nothing. I had the same examination as yours few years ago and i can tell you that nothing went wrong. The process lasts 15 minutes but it will take more time with sedatives because you have to wake up. So it could be 45 minutes maximum i guess.
    Don't be scared, you'll make it. It's true that you will feel a bit dizzy and very tired but theese sympotms will slip away in a few hours, so going home won't be hard.
    Also, I don't think that sedatives will 'force you' to come out. I mean when you wake up you will have a sensation that you don't know who you are and where you are and what's happening.
    But in a few minutes everything is going to become clear and you will return to consciousness, so you will be able to control what you say.
    I hope it helped you.

Emma

#2 EmmaReed, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2017
  3. Natasha Elyssa

Thanks for the reply! I'm hoping all goes well with this. On the bright side, I might finally find out what's wrong with my abdomen. Doctor originally said that it was most likely Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and gave me meds for it, but now the meds aren't working (the reason I'm going for the endoscopy) and now he's going to look into my stomach to see if he can find anything wrong inside me. Then the next step might be a colonoscopy if this doesn't find anything. But, I guess that this won't be so bad. After all, it might finally tell me what's going on inside my abdomen. <3 ^-^

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had several endoscopies and colonoscopies. For my first, I remember walking into a room full of cameras, lying down on a bed, and the nurses fitting a mask on me. I breathed in some type of gas, and that's the last thing I remembered. Supposedly, I woke up afterwards and was out of it, but remember nothing of that.

Another time, they had me fast before taking a camera pill, and the most unpleasant part of that was having to drink tons of a liquid solution and carrying a recorder around my waist. The procedure itself has a chance of risk, but the technology is pretty advanced and improving all the time.

Good luck!

5. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had endoscopy many times in my life.
    If you are sedated, you will notice nothing and you'll remember nothing. If you're not sedated, just remember to breathe deeply and regularly. Focus on your breathing. The nurse will probably say "breath with me. One, two, one, two…"
    One of those times, I was sedated, but I asked later if I had said something weird or embarassing and they said no. I had just laughed loudly for one minute with no reason.