1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do transgenders have to be stereotypically what they identify with?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Naos210, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Naos210

I'm in the questioning process at the moment myself, but even if I were to transition to being female... I don't think I would change all that much. My voice is already pretty feminine as it is (and as such, I typically pitch my voice down when I speak). Besides the hormones possibly changing my appearance a bit, my personality and the way I go about life would generally be the same. I get regularly called a "femboy", with this and because I carry more good relationships with females than I do males, I do get mistaken for being gay despite at the moment, calling myself either straight or just not identifying with an orientation. The way I dress is generally masculine, dress shoes and shirts, some ties or bowties, slacks, and sometimes jeans and hoodies and sneakers. I can't be certain, but even if I were biologically female, I doubt I'd change a lot, just like if I were to transition. Most transgender women as far as I know, wear dresses and such, but I don't think I could bring myself to do that after 18 years of dressing like a male. I'd still be interested in things like video games, though my interests in arts and possibly cooking would still stick. Of course, I forced myself to take more masculine roles and stereotypes, because being biologically male, and being raised in a society that tends to try to emasculate me for being more feminine, just didn't sit well with me. I pandered. Even my parents, saying I had to "be a man", and when I wasn't, I wasn't man enough to please them. They're more tolerant now, but I still feel, they may be judging me all the time, just like everyone else who calls me a "femboy" or something. I end up being like the "gay friend" to females, even though I'm not all gay, and I always had a feeling, never felt right with myself, always uncomfortable with my parts.

In conclusion, while most transgender women fall under the stereotypical female vein... I don't really think I could bring myself to do the same. I don't think I could call myself a transgendered woman if I'm not going to make the effort to make myself more like a woman. I know being female is not all about clothes, but still. I guess I'm just confused. My thoughts could be just initiated from how I was never man enough for people, and somehow, that made me not male. I know I've made a similar rant before, but with all these things going on in my head, and due to my lack of friends to actually talk to about these kinds of things without fear, I felt like I could turn here. It's pretty scattershot, messy, it's not properly structured thoughts, but if anyone can decode what I said here, anything would be nice.

#1 Naos210, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Naos,

First, I wanted to say welcome to our weird little family. It's so nice to meet you and have you here with us.

The short answer to your question is no, of course not.

Life is way too short, and conforming to cookie cutter standards and tropes will only lead to you being unhappy with yourself. My motto is do what makes you happy as long as you aren't hurting anyone. While I don't bother wasting time putting gender specific labels on things; I hate getting dirty, I don't really care for sports, I sleep with teddy bears, and I cry like a little baby watching cat videos and Pixar movies. But I'm still a guy, and that doesn't make me less of one because I'm not hyper masculine.

The only wrong way to be a man or a woman,in my opinion, is being a jerk who polices gender roles to other people; saying you aren't "really" a man/woman because you do a,b,c and not x,y,z. Y'know what I mean? I would say to do your best to ignore those people who shit on your good vibes and make you feel like you aren't a real woman because you don't connect with stereotypes.

3. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have to be stereotypical to transition. You can be whomever you want. I still want to play in a hockey league one day. Not competive at my age, but still.

YOU DO YOU!

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are masculine trans female and there feminine trans male.

Just think about it...can a cis female be masculine? Like sports? Play video games etc etc? If the answer is yes then the same applies for trans female.

So no, you do not have to stereotypical to identify as the gender you are.

I mean I'm trans male and read romance novels and watch dramas all day

5. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Outside of my hairstyle the only thing that really changed was some gestures, my voice, and maybe 30% of my wardrobe. I'm still a hardcore gamer, got a Batman bed set last Christmas, collect swords, watch WWE pay-per-views at a bar with guys, sometimes only wear undershirts, and people still see and treat me like a chick. It's natural to feel pressured at first to feel like you have to fit some stereotypes. I did the whole over-killing being girly at first also and felt almost as fake as before I was out. My advice is just be yourself and adjust the little things you want. You don't have to change everything all at once, or really anything at all to conform to lame expectations. It's not the clothes or hobbies that makes your identity, it's what's in your mind and heart. And if anyone says otherwise they're just full of it. Besides, the cupcakes I baked yesterday while wearing a CM Punk T-Shirt and listening to heavy metal doesn't taste any different than if I wore some stupid pink dress.

6. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just wanted to comment on the video game bit.

Video games were never a "stereotypical" "male" thing growing up for me, neither are they stereotypically male things now. There is a growing number of female gamers in the world. Nobody is surprised by a girl gamer anymore.

7. Naos210

I suppose, but a decade or so ago, that was not the case. That didn't really become normalized till the 2010s, maybe late 2000s.

8. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my family in the 90's it wasn't unusual. My mom played Dune 2 and Star Trek games, she still plays Dune 2.

Like I saud, it was not stereotypically a male thing for me growing up.

#8 Zoe Izumi, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  9. DoriaN

It's really about your body parts and how you feel socially. If you body is giving you dysphoria, and if you see that you would feel more comfortable being in a female role position then I'd say you're trans.

Your personality and stuff doesn't matter too much since that goes outside of gender and physical sex, clothes and the like is it's own issue. The need to transition (being trans) is again, feeling a physical discontent and then the inevitable social discontent resulting from it.

I play videogames professionally, I'm surrounded by men and very few women, but I know other girls who are the same. My mother beat all the Tomb Raiders, 100%ed fallout 3, new vegas, 4, and she loves the Elder Scrolls series (She played videogames before I was born, back when they were invented, and she taught me).

All these hobbies, traits, clothes etcetera are very separate from how you feel in your heart and how your body relates to you.

The BIGGEST thing is how 'natural' you'll feel. Transitioning is a very hard, often heartbreaking process, so if you're 'alright' enough right now it might be best to stay as you are, but that's a question of course only you can answer.

10. Naos210

Oh, I definitely have dysphoria. But what do you exactly mean by "female role position"?

I don't think I'm "alright". My lack of identity is giving me a large amount of depression.

11. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I should be transitioning, because popping the HRT pills is the only thing keeping me okay right now.

People just need to do their own thing is all.