1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chest binding rules

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by faigh amach, Feb 21, 2017.

1. faigh amach

So my friend is arguing with me about chest binding. She says that she uses Ace bandages to compress her chest and duct tape. i tell her not to do that because it's very unsafe. but she has nothing else so can someone give me the rules so i can tell her i was right about it?

Me: Chest binders, Layering shirts, Sports bras...
    her: Duct tape, Ace bandages, so on so forth

:help:

2. Najlen

Your friend should definitely not bind with Ace or duct tape. She could end up with broken ribs and/ or breathing problems. If she has no other way to bind right now layering is probably the best option, though compression bras work pretty well if she has a way to get one. Is there any way you could help her with finding a better method?

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are absolutely right. I mean how expensive is a high compression sport's bra? Or a few layering shirts, or a simple binder? So much safer and think of it as investment against constantly buying duct tape and ace bandages. I can't even imagine peeling duct tape off of myself at the end of the day! Ouch.

As the previous post mentioned breathing problems and bruised/broken ribs are what's in store for your friend if they continue like this.

Maybe try looking at alternate methods with your friend. Spend some time searching the web together to find something suitable. Just an idea.

Sebby

4. HojaVioleta

Ok, so, I'm gonna say what I consider the best way to go about this.

Yes, binding with ace bandages is unsafe. Your friend probably knows this. It sounds like you've told them this at great length. Your friend is an independent human being capable of making their own choices, and you should respect that, while making sure they have access to the information required to make an informed choice. People bind with ace bandages and duct tape, often because they lack the funds, or the autonomy, to buy a binder. If you want to help your friend, don't look for ammunition to prove you were right in an argument. Just buy them a binder.

In the interest of harm reduction, though, it may be useful to know that ace bandages are particularly bad because they constrict in response to being stretched. Duct tape doesn't do this, so is better.

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely think about whether there is anyway you could help you friend obtain a safer method of binding (a binder or a high compression sports bra). If she truly has no alternatives, it'll be really hard to stop her from binding unsafely, so try to help her find an alternative that works.

Ace bandages and duct tape are definitely not safe. They can lead to permanent damage to the rib cage, and can actually stop you from being able to get top surgery (breast removal) in the future.