1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does trans mean to you?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Mihael, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm curious, do you define it to yourself by a feeling of gender, by dysphoria / longing to be a certain way, both, somethibg else?

I'm thinking to myself, maybe that all was a mistake, a misunderstanding, the me being trans thing? I'm quite masculine, no doubt. Blame it on hormones or something.

I don't care either way what gender people see me as, but to be honest I like presenting myself as a dude, like, online. I also don't mind if someone mistakes (?) me for a dude IRL, I don't feel either way about it, but it makes me curious. I think today I was mistaken for a guy once again. And it just made me wonder that if I wanted to anwser at the board, would the teacher comment? And what if he called me a sir? Should I correct or not? I'm quite visibly a girl IMO, it's just if you look from distance or have bad eyesight that I can pass. (Both were true for the teacher) I'm not the most feminine but a girl. If someone sees me as a girl, well, that's no surprise. It doesn't move me either way. But my attitude is... just jaded. Both ways.

There's no doubt I'm masculine. I'm an engineer in making. There is a lot of men there. For whatever reason. Girls don't typically share those interests. For whatever reason. I like martial arts. It's more of a personality trait than a like. It's mostly guys who have that personality trait. I see all those girls in engineering. Let me tell you something. I was convinced that it's all about me being a maths person. But it's not. I see all those girls in engineering who wear feminine clothes and relate to others in such a feminine manner. And I'm like... more laid back, I guess.

Nevertheless, I think I'm reaching a point that gender is no longer important for me. I used to prefer guys as friends, a lot because the girls weren't into maths and the such, but now I don't care either way. Do I still feel like a guy? I don't know. It will never go away. I just... I like to be a buddy with the guys and I really feel a lack of it painfullY. It's so strange. I wasn't a tomboy growing up. Now I am, so definitely. And I'm so happy about it. I go like... pink is for girls, I won't buy that thing :grin: And yeah, I mean in that sentence that I'm a boy :wink: Like... :roflmao: I wasn't a tomboy growing up because I was so much less confident and less able to cope with negativity. Hmmm.

If it was down to how you want to be, then no, I'm just oblivious to my body. I like it as it is. I don't wish it was different in the slightest. I think it's important for me to be that tomboy, to be one of the guys in whatever sense, though. A masculine person, you name it. It's just strange.

Whatever the anwser is, my label on here stays the same. In case of guy contact need deprivation. I just find it difficult to be like... F, looks and behaves like any other F. That's just so much not me. That's so much confusion and misunderstanding on the part of other people. Stating that masculine identity makes it just easier, it removes the assumptions and a ton of explaining that although I'm a girl, I don't fulfil almost any (stereo)typical trait of a girl.

So in general the question is am I trans, a tomboy, is that even possible to reconcile? What is the name for it?

2. EmmaReed

Hi! If you read the definition of transgender it says: 'Transgender people are people who have a gender identity or gender expression that differs from their assigned sex.' It's simple. If you feel that you can't be defined by the term 'female', if you feel that no matter how you try you can't fit into the female category even if your sex is female, it means that you are transgender.
    It's not a problem if you don't have dysphoria because not every trans person has. Those who have strong dysphoria and choose to change their body are often called transsexuals.

So i think transmasculine is a good term for you, as you already figured it out.

Personally, for me transgender means that I can't fit into the male stereotype. I often feel that i am female and i define myself as a trans woman, but not the female stereotype. I think male and female are both wide categories. Even if someone is metrosexual or gay can call themselves males. So i think every person is different, so it's hard to be 100% sure about your gender identity. I think it's your feelings that define your gender. If you call yourself a trans man you can do stereotipically female things too, and you can wear whatever you want. It's your inside that represents that you are trans, so gender expression is another thing. Even if you feel that you like to present yourself as male, your gender identity can be anything, so they are independent.

By the way i always loved math and i was very good at it and i am also a trans woman. So its not your skills nor preferences that define who you are. They can be sings but it's you who interpret them.

Emma
    (she/her)

#2 EmmaReed, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2017
  3. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for your post.

What makes me think I'm not a trans man is that I find my identity as a woman to be of some importance to me. It's a large part of the story of my life. Also, I don't feel bad about being female in any sense. Per se. I have some gender dysphoria, but it's about how I relate to people. And only that. I also love some things that are considered to be masculine and I can't be happy without them. And I went great lengths to be more masculine. I suffered from a lot of confusion along the way and I thought that I wanted to actually be a guy in every aspect. Inside. Hm. I don't have an opinion. My brain is male, right? Whatever that means in this context.

I'm not a stereotypical dude either, ha ha. I mean I'm pretty average for a dude if we base our judgement on fair observation. But stereotypical? No. I don't portray a stereotypical dude image. The biggest thing is that I like to look feminine. I like the look, simply. I'm not that into cars or weight lifting. Or beer. Or football. Or short hair and baggy clothes. Or pointless rudeness. Nevertheless, most if not all my attitudes are manly. Instincts. That I don't act on all of them, makes me look "not man enough".

Yup, the distinction between transgender and transsexual comes up again for me. Okey then. That's well said. I don't feel like the term "female" descibes me. So... yeah that makes sense that I'm transgender this way.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I related to this, but haven't resolved it.

For me, being trans means I see myself as male, I have dysphoria that makes me want to be physically male or at least ambiguously gendered, and I feel more comfortable when people are seeing me as a guy, calling me "he", etc. I'm honestly not a particularly masculine person, but I'm happier being seen as a guy in a dress than a masculine woman. I see myself as male in the mirror, even if other people don't see me that way, and it gives me dysphoria if I am unable to see myself as male (e.g. if I'm not binding).

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My brain doesn't compute what gender I am, to be honest. I relate more to men. But what it makes me, no idea.

Well, Jesse, you're not masculine as you said, so you can't be a masculine woman.

Goodness, it's too philosphical.