1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is Boston/Cambridge for LGBT?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Natasha Elyssa, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Natasha Elyssa

The school I'm most likely going to, if I get accepted (hopefully, plz), is located in the Cambridge area of Massachusetts. And see, my question is: How good is Massachusetts with LGBT?

I really like the school and the Cambridge/ Boston area, but I know very little about Massachusetts and the area surrounding the college I want to go to. Is Massachusetts a good place to transition? How are the LGBT protections there? How's the name change process there? If I go to this school, will I have a hard time transitioning and being trans? Is it bad for people like me?

This school is like the great compromise between me and my parents (I still had to fight them over this), as it is away from home, but not too far. I fell in love with this school instantly. I love the feel, the vibe of it. It is also the only school I actually visited and toured and all that, and they made an even better impression with that. All in all, I really like this school. And it is where I'll most likely be going if I get accepted. It's also the only school of the 4 I applied to that has actively been in contact with me. The others just occasionally send me ads if anything. I like this school, I like the area from what I've seen of it, I like the feeling and vibe I got from the place. It's also got a lot of options and all that stuff. I really like it, and actively want to go there. I can't stress that enough. I just want to make sure I know what I might be getting into if I do go there.

I know transition isn't always a smooth process no matter where you are, but I at least want to know what I'm getting into of I do go to Massachusetts. I want to know more information before I end up finding out the hard way. Any information is appreciated! ^-^ <3

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fantastic. Absolutely. Boston and Massachusetts have lgbt protection laws including rights to bathrooms. I live 20 miles southeast of Boston and I have never had issues anywhere in Boston. Massachusetts is like a haven for us trans folk. Glad I live here.

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Back when I went to college in Cambridge people used to call it the People's Republic of Cambridge. It's one of the most liberal communities in the country if not the world. I think you'll be fine.

4. Ladster

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Massachusetts is an awesome place to be for LGBT. I grew up north of Boston and I still live there. I am proud to live here and I hope you love it too! Good luck! :slight_smile:

5. matt4907

matt4907 Guest

I used to go to school in Cambridge and it's a really great place for LGBT people. As a trans person, it's been one of the most accepting places that I've ever lived. I haven't personally gone through the name change process yet but I knew other trans people who have done it and it was a fairly easy process for them.

6. Natasha Elyssa

Thanks for the replies everyone! <3

But, seriously though, I'm so happy to know that Massachusetts is a good place for LGBT. Thanks for the reassurance! I really hope that I get accepted to this school, but now I want it more. They said they'd get back to me soon, so I hope to hear good news in the near future. It's a strong possibility that I'm going to start a new life in or near Cambridge, so I'm glad to hear that it's a good place for LGBT. All I need now is the school's decision and I'm planning to move to Massachusetts. I really liked Cambridge and the surrounding area when I visited the school, so I'll probably be happy there. But I may need to invest in a good snow shovel (tee-hee).

Thank you! ^-^ <3

#6 Natasha Elyssa, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017