1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I might be genderfluid, but I'm not sure.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TheAmpilus, Mar 4, 2017.

1. TheAmpilus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To put it as simply as I can: I was born a female and have identified as one my entire life.

I used to be quite the girly girl, but since I got to my teenage years, I've been getting less and less feminine (for instance, I used to love wearing dresses when I was little, but now I despise the things and won't wear one unless I have to. Even skirts are a rarity for me now, despite always choosing them over trousers when I was younger). I made a post a few weeks ago about being unsure of my identity in which I explained this point a little further, but...

Since then, I've been paying more attention to the way I feel in my daily life, and I've noticed something I never considered to be A Thing before - there are days when I am perfectly happy to be a female, and being referred to as one is perfectly fine. But there are also days when I hate the idea and get really either annoyed or upset by being referred to as a girl and would happily distance myself as far away from that identity as possible. I've had these feelings for a while, but as I said, it never really occured to me until recently that it could actually be something relating to my gender identity. (I also have never asked anyone to refer to me using pronouns other than she/her or by a name other than my own - a sadly feminine one - before, so I'm not sure how that would make me feel).

I did some research online which led me to suggest that I might be genderfluid, but I'm still not entirely convinced that that's the term that fits what I'm feeling. So now I'm just confused.

Any thoughts?

2. realworldbound

Out Status:
    Family only
    Hi! You kind of sound like me, but if I were born a girl. One thing that really clued me into the fact that I was genderfluid was actually almost "feeling" more masculine when I am fine with being a dude and this sudden rush of femininity and a desire to crossdress when I feel more female. If you can identify almost two or more separate identities or views of the world then that is definitely a clue. Others though seem to post about how they feel like neither a boy nor a girl all the time. This then would be agender which I can't really relate with since I actually feel different genders.

3. TheAmpilus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's pretty much exactly how I feel.
    (Although there is the problem of still looking feminine even when I'm dressing in a masculine way, but there's not much I can do about that, is there?)

4. realworldbound

Out Status:
    Family only
    Oh I deal with the same problem. I present as male all the time so when I do feel female, I kinda just pretend I'm a girl on the outside and it kinda works for me. I'm thinking in the future I'm just going to start having people refer me using the "they" pronoun so I don't have to change my appearance too much, but at least have people acknowledge that my identity isn't strictly just male or just female.

5. TheAmpilus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    See, with me it's different. I actually want to present myself as a male when I feel more masculine, but my ultimately feminine form and name prevent that from happening, which is fine on the days I don't mind being a girl, but not so much on the other days.

(Still trying to figure out if 'genderfluid' is actually the right term here as well...)

6. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In terms of trying out a new name/pronouns, there's a thread for that, titled something like "Test your name/pronouns here!" I'm just too lazy to get the link. Just thought I'd mention its existence, if that would help.

7. Nymree Aiden

Not sure if this helps, but I think I feel something similar. I love being a girl - I love skirts and boho style (I realise this immediately contradicts your position, but bear with me) - but I get urges to dress masculine. I love wearing guy clothes too, even though usually I see the clothes as incredibly plain and boring (I like patterns and colours, and all things bright). But I just love dressing as a guy, and feel more masculine doing so. Being misgendered used to bother me a lot, but now I kind of feel a little apathetic about it - I spent the entirety of last week in cross-dress for art research, and I felt like I just kind of came to accept most people are used to called me "her" or by my female name.

I also looked at genderfluid as a label, but it doesn't feel quite right. Tried just "cross-dresser", too, which didn't seem to fit. I'm currently looking at demifluid, with the main mix being demiboy and female, but still I'm not sure myself. I've come to the point where I'm just rolling with "Gender questioning until further notice".

Sorry if that isn't much help.

8. TheAmpilus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm aware of it already. Thanks, though. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 6th Mar 2017 at 03:28 AM ----------

See, that's the opposite of what's happened with me. I used to be more apathetic about it, but now it's annoying me. I also dislike the fact that people automatically assume I'm a female, whether that's because of my looks, my voice, or something else, but of course it's worse on the days where I feel more masculine.

9. QuinnA

I vary day to day. Sometimes I'm absolutely fine being called my female name and somedays every use of the word she makes me uncomfortable. I've been playing around with agender and genderfluid and haven't really come to a decision yet. What I find helps me know if a label fits me properly is repeating it over and over in my head and everyday life. Whenever I have a change in how I feel towards my gender I'll think of the words and see if they match up.

10. TheAmpilus

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's what I've been doing, and although the term 'genderfluid' does seem to fit, I'm still not 100% convinced that it's the right one for some reason.