1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderqueer ppl, what does genderqueer mean to you?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by astriferous, Mar 5, 2017.

1. astriferous

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm curious about what genderqueer means to other genderqueer folks, or why they choose the term to describe themselves?

I prefer to call myself nonbinary, and recently I've also revisited the term genderqueer, which is what I used for myself when I initially started questioning my gender. I find the term interesting because it's pretty broad while also able to be a specific identity. The way I understand it is that the term is kind of what you need it to mean. Like, I'm kind not a female or a male but also not neutral or necessarily in-between, and don't prefer any more concrete labels because my gender is a weird unique thing, so I like to call myself genderqueer in addition to the umbrella term nonbinary because it pretty much encompasses my gender as far as I can understand it: pretty queer. For some reason I consider nonbinary and genderqueer differently for me personally (regardless of what others define them for themselves). Nonbinary when applied to me is just that I'm not in the gender binary, but genderqueer, I feel, better relates my specific feelings of gender.

I might be wrong but I got the impression that genderqueer can be pretty different from person to person. What does it mean to you?