1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crossdresser or Gender Issues? Fetish or Identity?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ExileOn9thSt, Mar 6, 2017.

1. ExileOn9thSt

Oh, uh hey hi yes
    This may be my only post here but I thought I'd givita shot

I've been questioning my gender identity lately
    Snooped around on the internet about it
    It's hard to find answers but I saw a lot of threads on this nice site so hey ho lets go.

So, uhh... I like feeling like a woman?
    I'm a dude, yea.
    But like, what the bleep does that mean for me
    Am I a girl? genderfluid maybe?
    Or just a crossdresser??

It's something I've only recently started thinking seriously about.
    I've always been curious.
    Weirdly enough, playing with my mom's bras when I was tiny is one of my earliest memories :v
    I'd forgotten about that till recently... I recall I went through a short phase of closet-digging for girls stuff to wear when I was entering puberty too. Chalked it up to being curious about it all. It was frankly kinda exciting.

Other than that... I've mostly just had a fascination with women and how things are from their side.
    They've got the monopoly on grace and beauty
    Whereas men are [usually] just ugly, utilitarian-looking things.
    Women have the nicest bodies and the...ehem.....better, funner bits
    It'd be great to step into their skin
    etc etc

Have I wanted to be a woman?
    I mean... I wouldn't object
    I've always wanted to
    Just to see
    Would I want to stay that way?
    I dunno... maybe it I liked it enough?
    I'm kinda cozy in my current gender role tho

What started me questioning?
    I guess a lot of it has to do with my ex-girlfriend
    She was MTF trans
    I loved her dearly but things went nasty and she left me recently.
    It was devastating. Really messed me up. But anyway,
    I was always really supportive of her transition
    I'll admit it made me nervous at first, cuz of my conservative background
    But I came around eventually and loved those parts of her as much as the rest
    And it helped me open my mind to the concepts of gender identity etc a lot more
    It made me unspeakably happy to see her fulfill her desires and be who she wanted
    I would beam when I heard she'd gotten a chance to dress up and feel good
    I was happy to be by her side and thought it was all pretty cool. Even kinda hot, to be totally honest.

I guess it all brought questions about myself to the surface.
    In many ways I was kinda jealous of her transition
    She was getting to live it from the "other side"; something I've always wanted to taste
    When we'd, um... erotic RP, I'd always get really turned on when we'd both play as girls :v
    It all excited me and made me wonder why. Was I just fetishizing it? Or was there something more to myself?

But since I've never felt dysphoria, I always waved it off as just a fascination.
    Until recently.

I don't remember what got me really thinking about it... but it really kicked off with a dream I had one night.
    In it I was... idk, I recall had taken a van and I know I was sort of on the run for some reason; but at some point realized I was dressed as a girl.
    I was cute. I had an understated grey-blue dress on, and some girls shoes.
    I felt so nice.
    I remember having to sneak across a field, but someone across a river saw me; from the distance I tried to play it off and smiled and waved girlylike. It worked; he musta thought I was a girl cuz he grinned real wide back and didn't suspect nuthin'. And it felt really good to be seen like that??? I don't know why???

I mean, it was just a dream; but I knew after that that I have something going on with me. Even if I maybe am just into crossdressing.

And maybe that's all it is. But I feel like maybe there's something more? Or maybe I'd just like there to be, lol...

Another thing about me you should know, is I'm kinda surrounded by trans/fluid/etc people. I make friends with them really easily for some reason; I don't know why. They just seem to like me??
    As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever had a cis girl hit on me :v
    But so, with all that, and having dated sometime trans, I suppose there could be a sort of "peer pressure" to feel something like that in myself too...

But idk. I'd like to figure this out.

A lot of its sexual, I'll be honest and admit that. It's a definite turn-on; I get really aroused thinking about most any of it.

And guys passing as women can be pretty hot to me sometimes
    Or make me jealous
    Ever see the cover of David Bowie's The Man Who Sold the World?
    Damn I'd give anything to look (and feel!) like that sometime lol.

So with all that said, there seems to be a heavy case to dismiss it all as a fetish.

But on the other hand, I think, I just think, there might be something more? Once you get past the "excitement" of it all, I feel like there's some sort of genuine joy/satisfaction I get from being in those feminine states...

I had another dream yesterday. Part of it was that I had gone back to an old job I had long ago with some friendly religious folk and was living with them, and part of it was that I was happily wearing girls clothes. I don't know if I was living as a woman, or just dressing, but I was openly presenting in some way. And it felt really, really, good. Like the fulfillment of a dream I'd always had. There was a moment of my mom(?) comparing me to one of my sisters and that made me feel stupidly gratified.
    But those feelings were all manufactured by the dream of course.
    I don't know if they'd hold up in the real life.

But I feel like I might have a definite female side. Like, maybe almost an alternate identity inside me? It's kinda exciting to think about. I even know what I'd call my female self.

But the thing is, I feel entirely comfortable in my own skin
    I've never felt any kind of dysphoria, that I can recall
    I enjoy being mistaken for a woman, but I'm not upset to be called a man
    I have long, luxurious hair, but also a rough beard
    I'd love rocking a pretty dress, but I'm just as cool in a leather jacket and khakis
    If I never get to live out my femininity I'd be disappointed, but not devastated
    So idk? I guess that probly means I'm not trans?

Maybe genderfluid? But from what I hear, for those people it's like having a male/female switch in their heads that's out of their control, dictating how they feel comfortable presenting throughout the day... I don't feel like that
    At least I don't think so

I heard there's something called bi-gender but how far can these identity terms go before they're just made-up lol

So what the heck am I??

I'm not living any of this out at the moment. I haven't crossdressed since my early teens. The most I do is keep my hair nice when I can, and find myself making rather feminine motions from time to time. And I fantasize of course. Maybe make a cute face in the mirror :v

I um... hang out in a lot of "furry" communities, and have a fox character that represents myself; you can see it in my avi (wearing a dress!! :3c I felt stupidly happy getting to make that one my avi) It's a guy, but the long hair has ended up getting me mistaken for a girl online at times, and he's gotten drawn crossdressing or as a woman a few times, and I always secretly deeply relish all of it.

I'd like to explore this side of me more but I live at home with little privacy so that's not really much of an option for me atm. So right now most all I can do is just think about it all.
    If I could tho I think I'd get a bunch of cute stuff and wear it around the house for as long as I can and see how I like it aaaaaaaaa that sounds like fun :3c

I suppose I could talk to some of my trans/fluid friends about it and see what they have to say. They could probably help me figure myself out. But idk... not sure I'm ready or confident enough to talk admit this stuff to friends just yet.
    And I've always been totally dude-mode around them lol so it'd feel a bit weird for me to admit :v

So, idk quite what I'm asking of you all; I'm frankly getting kinda sleepy
    But if you have any thoughts or advice or literally anything for me I'd appreciate it :3
    Thank you so much for reading~

2. Nymree Aiden

There's a lot here that I can relate to- particularly the comfort in ones own skin and lack of disphoria. I'm gender questioning too, but I've considered the label demifluid - where a part of you is static (for me, female) and a part fluid (male/demiboy). I also wonder if I'm just a crossdresser, but whats its come down to for me is this:
    1) Am I happy dressing as male and female on different days?
    2) Am I happy with how things are?
    3) Will changing my label make any difference to how I live and enjoy my life?

I'm coming to the point where Im comfortable (ish) without a label. But thats not for everyone. I would advise you do some introspection, private (locked-door in bedroom if necessary) crossdressing, and try out that gender pronouns thread at the top of this section (can't remember what it's called - Test you names/pronouns here!, maybe?). What made me settle in my comfort with all of it was going into town with an understanding friend, dressed as a guy, and mimicking the movements of other men. When I got "mistaken" as a guy, and someone called me "mate" instead of a more feminine name, my heart jumped for joy, and I sort of felt that went beyond just crossdressing. But then, I'm a perfectionist, so maybe it was just me getting giddy over success. Hope this helps?
    Good luck :slight_smile: I'm happy to help more and, as female by birth, Im happy to talk things over with you from a female's perspective if you like.

3. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I think that to determine whether it's a fetish or not you could try imagining yourself as a girl in normal mundane every day situations. Like asking yourself how you would feel about being a girl while working or buying groceries or talking to someone.
    That might help with finding out if it's only a sexual desire or something more.
    You could try looking at women with different looks and ages and imagine yourself looking like that, see how that feels.

It might also help to think about what precisely you like about being a woman: The body, the gender role , the clothes ( and yes, some girls also like wearing leather jackets and khakis), the way people view and treat you?
    It can also help why you'd want that thing specifically because it can tell a lot about wanting to be a woman vs wanting to be feminine.

I hope there will be some transwomen replying to this thread since obviously they're the experts. Either way, trans or cross dresser, I'm sure you'll absolutely rock it.=P

4. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have no fear, hating yourself and having dysphoria isn't a requirement to wanting to transition or being trans. I've never hated my body, but would I change it in order to be seen as something that would make me even happier? I would. I think what you have to ask yourself is: how unhappy would you be if you didn't experiment, and if you didn't allow yourself to let out this more feminine or female side? Would you feel your life was dull or that you had some part of yourself you were always just keeping locked away? How often do these feelings pop up and how much do you feel like you need to express them? Do these feelings feel like a choice to you, or is there a hunger or need for them to be fulfilled (that isn't sexual, but mentally and emotionally gratifying). What do you get out of being feminine and what do you enjoy? Is it feeling pretty but still being confident in yourself as a man, or is it feeling closer to women and relating to them and feeling like a true part of yourself is being fulfilled when you "fit in" with them?

5. ExileOn9thSt

That kinda makes sense... I could see myself relating to that.

I'll definitely be introspecting a lot.
    Private crossdressing isn't something I really have the opportunity to do atm (especially since I dont exactly have access to clothes right now), but hopefully I'd possibly be able to in the near future, maybe maybe.
    I might give that thread a look tho!! This site seems as good a place as any to experiment with things a bit.

Ahhh, that sounds like a great experience!! I'd like to do that myself; that's the sort of thing I love feeling in my fantasies...
    But I understand your hesitation on what that feeling of satisfaction meant. I'd feel the same.
    It's a learning process I suppose. Thank you for sharing.
    And thank you for the offer!! :3

How would I feel... Probly awkward lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    But... I think it would feel immensely, personally satisfying.
    Definitely more than just sexually.
    What exactly that "more" counts as? Not sure
    But I think I'd feel like I was living in some kind of awesome fantasy, lol

I don't relate to every woman I see. Some of them I feel like I have nothing in common with.
    But others really have a... a vibe, an aura, or something of the kind, that I admire and envy. Something that I wish I could feel embodied in myself. Just to experience it; to feel what being stunning is like.
    Usually the really feminine or mysterious types.

I think it's mainly the feeling of femininity
    I love feeling like I embody that, lol
    And I relish being recognized as such
    Not as a "feminine guy", but like... as if I'm inhabiting someone else.
    Maybe that someone isn't 100% woman, even if I love feeling like a girl
    But it's definitely not male either.
    It's just.... me.

But,
    I like being the regular me too.
    I look up to cool male heroes and enjoy emulating that too.
    But I want to be the other, girly me sometimes too.... Like today, I've been really feeling those feminine urges wanting to express themselves a lot.
    So maybe it is more of a genderfluid thing? I'm not sure... I think it'll take more time before I can know.

Eeeehehehe thank you x3

I could live with it if I didn't, but it would be disappointing.... I wouldn't be able to have all the experiences I'd like to have.
    And now that I recognize these feelings more.... Yeah, it might feel kinda repressing.

It's popped up every so often before... But I always kinda dismissed it till now.
    I've been feeling it a lot more recently tho. Maybe just cuz I'm thinking about it a lot? Idk. But the feelings are there.

Does it feel like a choice? I mean, not really... Yes, it's a choice as in "I can choose to act or not act on these urges"; but no, I can't choose whether or not to have them. Repress them maybe lol; but I mean seeing as I felt this on occassion all my life I doubt it's going anywhere.
    And yes... I do think it does beyond the sexual. I can't fully disconnect if from that, cuz the arousal is there; but I definitely do feel it does something for me emotionally in a very satisfying way.

I feel like my answer to Cinis above answers this pretty well.
    Honestly... It doesn't feel so much as wanting to fit in and relate with other women as much as it is the desire to fulfill something deeply personal.
    But then again I can be kinda antisocial so maybe I wouldn't know I wanted that type of connection till I tried it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks again to all of you responding to this and thanks for helping me explore this~

#5 ExileOn9thSt, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  6. DoriaN

I highly disagree with this sentiment, traditionally and medically it was always seen that dysphoria goes hand in hand with being trans (the desire to trans-ition because your body is not in alignment with the gendered brain programming. Not everyone chooses to act on the feelings however). Most who are trans do not want to be trans, but as a birth defect it's easier to go through transition (as hard as it is) than to get anxiety attacks or w/e else on a daily basis.

However now politically, this has become the case, that trans is now an umbrella catch-all for 'resisting the cis'.

At any rate, @TC the feelings you described aren't unusual or at least not un-documented. If I'm being honest a lot of what you said reminds me of autogynephilia.

I think a big question for yourself will be 'motive'. Having feelings or wanting some is all fine and good, but what's the motivation or causality behind the actions and desires?

7. ExileOn9thSt

I guess mainly cuz I like how it makes me feel? It just kinda makes me stupidly happy, heh

I'm exploring it all cuz, I mean... if there is something different about me, that's kinda neat
    And if I could get some joy or satisfaction out of it, why not y'know.

8. realworldbound

Out Status:
    Family only
    So you honestly sound just like me. Growing up, I would love to pretend I was a girl and that I had long hair without really understanding why. I would just kinda release this feminine energy then go about my day as a guy. I honestly just thought it was because I liked men, and just thought "oh this must be why gay men dress in drag a lot. To release this." Well as I got older, I realized this wasn't the case at all. I also paid attention to how sometimes I would feel like a girl inside talking but a boy on the outside still. And during these times, I would have that same feminine feeling. I freaked out and thought I was a trans woman. That I have just been suppressing all this "transness" and will inevitably end up transitioning. Well I was wrong again. I talked to a counselor since I had became very depressed and she made me realize that the male side of me is very valid also. That gender identity can be more than just cis or completely trans. It also explains why I never experienced dysphoria and was happy when I started growing facial hair. I identify as genderfluid currently but who knows down the road. The good thing with this term is it's flexible. If I want to transition I can, if I want to be a man that just secretly crossdresses, well I can too. Your identity is permanent, but what you choose to do with it is all up to you. Hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck in everything!

#8 realworldbound, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  9. ExileOn9thSt

Thank you so much for sharing!! I'm glad you got to a place you're comfortable with :3

The more I think about this all on my own end, the more I feel like maybe I can identify as being genderfluid... Maybe I'm not 100% specifically that, who knows; but as a loose term, I think I might be comfortable under it

I'm honestly considering showing what I've written here to one of my nice genderfluid friends and see what they can tell me. I just don't want to make things weird or something lol x3

But yes, thank you thank you so much to those who've replied. <3

10. ExileOn9thSt

So like, I'm feeling a lot more confident in these feelings
    So I went and changed my Twitter/Discord avi to one similar to the one I'm using here
    And goddamn it feels GOOOOODDD
    :3c
    I love this