1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you come out?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Quniverse, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Quniverse

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been questioning my gender for about 5 months now and have been decently sure about my agender identity for a month-ish. I don't know if I'm ready or not but let's say that I am; have I waited long enough to "know"? The primary argument I know my parents will have is that I can't know for sure because I'm too young and am inexperienced. Is admitting to have been questioning for 5 months a long enough time to appease them? Or is 5 months like no time at all?

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Online, I've been out since I was 16. When it came to coming out IRL and making it a public thing to the people I know or have gone to school with, then that was three years ago.

For me, I've struggled with my gender identity since I was young, so for me I made my coming out process slow to ease myself into it. I would say that's (five months) enough time and talking to someone about it can help you work out any doubts you might have.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't start questioning till I was in my 20s, so my issue was that I worried they think I couldn't be because I was to old.

I cameout to my mom through text 4 months into questioning. And the rest of my family a year ago on facebook

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out at 16 to my oldest brother and also a school advisor. This was about 6 months into serious questioning. It took me an additional year to come out to my parents.

However I have struggled with gender issues from younger, really starting at age 12. Puberty hit me hard and was very confusing. By 14 years old I dressed like a boy and had my hair cut really short, though at the time I did not identify as trans. It was just what came naturally. Later on I began having a bit of an identity crisis when it clicked that I wouldn't just magically become a guy one day, but would have to live the rest of my life as a woman. It was that thought I couldn't reconcile, and which brought me to eventually (after serious introspection) to accept myself as trans.

It takes time to sort this out. For some longer that others. There is no "right way" to be trans, and no specific age to know in order to be legitimate. Find a support network (therapist, friends, family...) who can help you as you think through this.

5. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to the school counselor at 14 years old, it was 4 months after I first started questioning.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out when I was in college. I think that I was around 19 or 20. I started questioning my gender identity when I was about 18 though. So, it took about 2 years for me to come out. That being said, if you feel like you know your identity for sure, I would come out.